KAR: BYU's New Head Coach

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Tetonkatest

Re: KAR: BYU's New Head Coach

Post by Tetonkatest » April 19th, 2024, 6:52 am

FeartheFro wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 5:48 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 5:30 pm
WAAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 8:00 am
I bet they are just using that rich guys money. Have they ever disclosed how much of the widows mite goes to sports? This was most likely outside money so they don't look bad spending gift money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan Smith, owner of the Jazz?

So thinking about this, a guy that rich, if he donate's to BYU (or any University), it is considered a charitable donation and a tax write-off, correct?

I mean, the guy is probably just donating the money instead of using it for paying taxes, correct?
And he's getting the Utah taxpayers to fund his hockey arena. Nice of Utahns to help out a billionaire like that.
Utahn’s are like that. They also clean multi billion dollar organizations buildings for free.

They clean their local Church houses for free, for like an hour, 3 to 4 times a year!?! That's 4 hours of free labor!

Perish the thought!!!
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post:
Hoot

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 19th, 2024, 7:45 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 5:48 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:
I bet they are just using that rich guys money. Have they ever disclosed how much of the widows mite goes to sports? This was most likely outside money so they don't look bad spending gift money.

So thinking about this, a guy that rich, if he donate's to BYU (or any University), it is considered a charitable donation and a tax write-off, correct?

I mean, the guy is probably just donating the money instead of using it for paying taxes, correct?
And he's getting the Utah taxpayers to fund his hockey arena. Nice of Utahns to help out a billionaire like that.
Utahn’s are like that. They also clean multi billion dollar organizations buildings for free.

They clean their local Church houses for free, for like an hour, 3 to 4 times a year!?! That's 4 hours of free labor!

Perish the thought!!!
Not sure what you are talking about. I’m referring to a group of people in my neighborhood that go and clean some Amazon warehouse’s a couple of times per year for free. I am intrigued by this church cleaning you refer to? Any way I can get more info?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 19th, 2024, 7:57 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 6:50 am
April 18th, 2024, 5:40 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

Utahns get too excited about professional sports.

They desperately want to "belong" and be "accepted", and they will leap at the opportunity to have a professional sports team, including footing part of the bill.
Or we just like sports and are looking forward to having another pro franchise here.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » April 19th, 2024, 8:58 am

2004AG wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 7:57 am
Tetonkatest wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

They desperately want to "belong" and be "accepted", and they will leap at the opportunity to have a professional sports team, including footing part of the bill.
Or we just like sports and are looking forward to having another pro franchise here.
That too.

I do think having professional sports franchises hurts interest in local collegiate sports. But, I think USU will be fine in that regard, and Utah will be hurt the most. Their basketball attendance might dip even lower.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » April 19th, 2024, 2:24 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:58 am
2004AG wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

That too.

I do think having professional sports franchises hurts interest in local collegiate sports. But, I think USU will be fine in that regard, and Utah will be hurt the most. Their basketball attendance might dip even lower.
If any of you think that Utah is somehow exceptional in its willingness to spend public money on private sports franchises, I have a bridge you might be interested in buying. Getting taxpayers to build stadiums is a world-wide boondoggle and it has nothing to do with Utahns being desperate for acceptance.
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2024, 3:05 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 2:24 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

That too.

If any of you think that Utah is somehow exceptional in its willingness to spend public money on private sports franchises, I have a bridge you might be interested in buying. Getting taxpayers to build stadiums is a world-wide boondoggle and it has nothing to do with Utahns being desperate for acceptance.
It definitely isn't a Utah thing and arenas are more expensive than they used to be, but Larry Miller built the Delta Center with private funds. If Ryan Smith really wanted to, he could build a hockey arena with his money and his connections. It might mean less money to spend on byu coaches and byu nil and the Utah legislature wouldn't want that.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » April 19th, 2024, 3:47 pm

April 19th, 2024, 3:05 pm
BearLakeMonster wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 2:24 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

That too.

It definitely isn't a Utah thing and arenas are more expensive than they used to be, but Larry Miller built the Delta Center with private funds. If Ryan Smith really wanted to, he could build a hockey arena with his money and his connections. It might mean less money to spend on byu coaches and byu nil and the Utah legislature wouldn't want that.
Smith is well aware that the value of his investment into this team is very likely to appreciate at a rate that far exceeds most investment vehicles available, based on the example of virtually every pro franchise in history, and therefore he can, and should, pony up his own funds for any facilities he thinks he needs to make this team successful. Larry Miller understood this...and enjoyed huge returns on his investment.
These users thanked the author tetonaggie for the post (total 2):
NEAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » April 22nd, 2024, 10:56 am

tetonaggie wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 3:47 pm

Smith is well aware that the value of his investment into this team is very likely to appreciate at a rate that far exceeds most investment vehicles available, based on the example of virtually every pro franchise in history, and therefore he can, and should, pony up his own funds for any facilities he thinks he needs to make this team successful. Larry Miller understood this...and enjoyed huge returns on his investment.
The value of the team will go up whether he ponies up the funds for the stadium or whether the state does. So why would he spend the money? IMO, the state should say that they will build the stadium but they want a percentage of the revenue derived from the team and a percentage of the increase of the teams worth because of the given stadium. So, they state should be a minority owner in the franchise. Otherwise, it is a loss to the state and a win for the sports team owner. All the tax payers get screwed, especially those who don't care about the team.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
NVAggietravelingagg

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 11:14 am

Exactly, the owner wins because they get to make more money. Fans of the team get to have reduced ticket prices. Businesses around the area get the additional customers. Those who pay taxes in the state and don't give a lick about the team get screwed because they pay for something that they never use.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic