Edey or Sampson

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

Edey or Sampson

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2024, 9:38 am

A question for those of you old enough to watch Ralph Sampson play:

After watching Edey win the National POY twice and dominate the college game the last two years - how do you compare him to Ralph Sampson (I believe Sampson was POY 3 times)? Which was more dominant in his era?

I was quite young, but I remember the hype and the dominance of Sampson. They are two different epochs of the game and the styles of play are different, but I think Sampson was the more dominant player.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Coloraggie

Re: Edey or Sampson

Post by Coloraggie » April 19th, 2024, 10:29 am

Sampson. He was simply dominant in the game and he was mobile and quick where I feel Edey is a little slower foot.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 19th, 2024, 10:47 am

I would compare Sampson more to victor. So very athletic, moved like a guard. Big men fishy shoot 3’s in that era, but I think it easily could have been part of his game. He also would have been able to defend the perimeter where Zach has no chance. I don’t see Zach being a force in the NBA. With that said, while Sampson has very good NBA Career, I personally thought it would be a more dominant career. For all the youngsters on here go take a look at some YouTube video of Ralph Sampson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
ereksonaggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2024, 10:51 am

FeartheFro wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:47 am
I would compare Sampson more to victor. So very athletic, moved like a guard. Big men fishy shoot 3’s in that era, but I think it easily could have been part of his game. He also would have been able to defend the perimeter where Zach has no chance. I don’t see Zach being a force in the NBA. With that said, while Sampson has very good NBA Career, I personally thought it would be a more dominant career. For all the youngsters on here go take a look at some YouTube video of Ralph Sampson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean this athleticism?

https://sicovers.com/featured/and-now-t ... cover.html

Eutaw St. Aggie

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 19th, 2024, 12:46 pm

sampson was such a good athlete for his size. i think someone said a better comparison to sampson would be wembly

GUS

Post by GUS » April 19th, 2024, 12:50 pm

Edey is a stiff compared to Sampson.

tipitup

Post by tipitup » April 19th, 2024, 1:06 pm

There was a dunk sampson had, i think it was in the tournament against BYU. if i remember it right, a shot went up and sampson went for the rebound and jumped and put his hand about half way up the glass on the left side and caught the ball with his right and dunked it, well he tomahawked it. it was so awesome!!!! crazy play

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2024, 1:11 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 1:06 pm
There was a dunk sampson had, i think it was in the tournament against BYU. if i remember it right, a shot went up and sampson went for the rebound and jumped and put his hand about half way up the glass on the left side and caught the ball with his right and dunked it, well he tomahawked it. it was so awesome!!!! crazy play
Click on the link in my post above. Is that the play?

Eutaw St. Aggie

tipitup

Post by tipitup » April 19th, 2024, 1:23 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 1:11 pm
tipitup wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 1:06 pm
Click on the link in my post above. Is that the play?
that may be it, but i was pretty sure he planted his left hand on the glass, but that looks about right. i couldn't find a video of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic