Will the Olympics finally get us a Provo to Logan Front Runner extetion?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Will the Olympics finally get us a Provo to Logan Front Runner extetion?

Post by ViAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 12:52 pm

And when I say Provo to Logan, I mean like... Payson to Smithfield. Do you think it could happen? Thoughts?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Will the Olympics finally get us a Provo to Logan Front Runner extetion?

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 23rd, 2024, 1:05 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:52 pm
And when I say Provo to Logan, I mean like... Payson to Smithfield. Do you think it could happen? Thoughts?
That would be awesome. I could see Payson, but I doubt they extend past Brigham.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 1:08 pm

If they would put it at least to Tremonton, it wouldn't take much to get it into Cache Valley.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 2:18 pm

No. My understanding is that the Front Runner will almost certainly never make it to Cache Valley because Sardine is too steep for rail lines. They would have to run it through Valley View, which, aside from being prohibitively expensive, would most likely mean no one would use it because it would be much slower than driving. There is a long-term plan to extend it to Brigham City, but even that is most likely decades away. There was an article posted about it in some other thread. The short summary is that they are in the process of trying to buy land to extend it to Brigham City, but that is a very slow process if the landowners don't want to sell. And once they own the land, it will be a long time before they have the money to actually build the tracks and stations. So don't expect to see it any time soon.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
Tetonkatest

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » April 23rd, 2024, 2:46 pm

Technical challenges aside, not a lot of improvements will happen outside of the salt lake valley, and what few do happen will take place in Utah county. Just the way Utah goes.

Aggies All the Way!

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 4:15 pm

I sure hope not. The front runner is slow and it costs a butt ton if you’re riding it every day. It would be a huge waste of taxes. There’s so many regulations these days that I’m sure the cost of that would be well over a billion dollars. Teleportation will be invented before sold tickets pay for the front runner extension up to Logan. If you want to catch a ride to Logan then just hop on a bus.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 23rd, 2024, 4:33 pm

Brigham City had been paying a tax for nearly a decade marked for frontrunner expansion to Brigham City.

Just this year they stopped paying that

Not sent from Tapatalk

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 4:44 pm

the olympic pitch is that every event will be within an hour of SLC. I don't think Logan is on the map for any olympic events.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 23rd, 2024, 4:47 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 4:44 pm
the olympic pitch is that every event will be within an hour of SLC. I don't think Logan is on the map for any olympic events.
Might get some teams getting some ice time in Logan, but no events.

I think my family saw the Chinese speed skating team at Mandarin garden in 2002.

Not sent from Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 5:29 pm

Hell if they can build a bullet train from LA to Las Vegas, they can get Front Runner over Sardine Canyon. But yea, I too think it's cost prohibitive.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » April 24th, 2024, 1:44 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 2:18 pm
No. My understanding is that the Front Runner will almost certainly never make it to Cache Valley because Sardine is too steep for rail lines. They would have to run it through Valley View, which, aside from being prohibitively expensive, would most likely mean no one would use it because it would be much slower than driving. There is a long-term plan to extend it to Brigham City, but even that is most likely decades away. There was an article posted about it in some other thread. The short summary is that they are in the process of trying to buy land to extend it to Brigham City, but that is a very slow process if the landowners don't want to sell. And once they own the land, it will be a long time before they have the money to actually build the tracks and stations. So don't expect to see it any time soon.
Probably far, far cheaper to run an express bus service between Logan and Brigham City, to a Frontrunner station.

For all I know, that service already exists.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 24th, 2024, 5:52 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:29 pm
Hell if they can build a bullet train from LA to Las Vegas, they can get Front Runner over Sardine Canyon. But yea, I too think it's cost prohibitive.
Sure, if money were no object, you just build a tunnel under the mountains or something like that, which honestly would probably be easier and cheaper than trying to lay tracks through Sardine. There are already rail lines over Cajon Pass, so that's not a major issue. If Logan were a city of 2 million and extending the Front Runner would result in an enormous decrease in traffic, it probably would have happened already. But given that Logan has a population of a little over 50,000, there is no way that ridership would come anywhere close to justifying the cost.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic