I'm Playing GM for the Utah Jazz Kind of long

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Papajsmurf
Has thanked: 0

I'm Playing GM for the Utah Jazz Kind of long

Post by Papajsmurf » May 3rd, 2024, 3:58 pm

Right now, the Jazz have some very good role players but no real superstar. Teams that usually win the title have 3 players or more in the top 50. Currently the Jazz have Markanon at 33 and Sexton and Clarkson falling just out of the top 50. Here is a list of players that have been mentioned as tradeable or who I think the Jazz might try to get
ESPN NBA player rankings

9 Kevin Durant: Ainge has always had a thing for Durant. Age and durability are somewhat of a concern and even though Phoenix fizzled out in the playoffs they might want to run it back another year. I think if you offered 3 first rounders (this year’s #8) and Collins (for salary) and Hendrix they might bite.

13 Trae Young: He really doesn’t move the needle for me but I have seen his name in trade rumors.

23 Stephen Curry: I’m not sure the warriors are ready for a rebuild. However, they need to do something having the largest team salary and a play in game team. Age is definitely a concern. I’m sure they would want at least 4 first rounders and Markanon. However, because of his age I would only offer 3 first rounders.

24 Kawhi Leonad: The Clipper experiment has failed. Age and durability are a concern. I would offer 3 first rounders and 2 of the following: Sexton, George, Collins, or Kessler

30 DeMar DeRozan: Doesn’t really move the needle for me, but he can score. 2 first round picks 1 second and 2 of the following: Sexton, Collins, Kessler, Hendrix

30 Dejounte Murry: same offer as Kawhi but maybe include 2 second round picks.

35 Bam Adebayo : He is an older player but an upgrade in center over Kessler. Offer the same Kawhi

40 Paul George: Two first round picks 2 seconds and 1 pick of Sexton, George, Collins, or Kessler

41 Jaylen Brown: Depending on if the Celtics win it or not they might need to make a trade. 3 first rounders but must take on Collins
42 Kyle Kuzma: Same as Kawhi but only one player Sexton, Collins, Kessler, or Hendrix

49 Miles Bridges: 3 first rounder 2 second and 1 Sexton, Collins, Kessler, or Hendrix
Here are the Jazz's assets

The Utah Jazz currently hold the 8th pick unless two teams 10-14 jumps them in the lottery and they fall to 10th which would result in Oklahoma getting their pick (Favors)
Gobert trade: The Jazz acquired Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverley, Bolmora, Walker Kessler, Jerod Vanderbilt. 2023 Draft pick (Keyonte George), 2025 first round and 2029 first round pick. 2026 pick swap option, 2027 pick swap option.
Mitchell trade: The Jazz acquired Lauri Markanen, Ochai Agbaji, Colin Sexton, 2025, 2027, 2029 First round picks and 2026 and 2028 pick swap option.
Beasley, Vanderbilt, Beverley and 3 second rounders to the Lakers for 2027 first round pick.
Kelly Olynyk and Ochai Agbaji for 2024 first round From Toronto.
These users thanked the author Papajsmurf for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: I'm Playing GM for the Utah Jazz Kind of long

Post by aggies22 » May 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm

The only real comment I have is a HELL NO on Kawhi Leonard and I wouldn't trade the young dudes for most of the older players. Maybe just keep the band together and get a new coach. I'm not sold on him. I heard Darvin Ham is available. Haha!!

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » May 3rd, 2024, 6:41 pm

Adebayo is 26. I would take him.

I also like Dejounte Murray, Kyle Kuzma, Miles Bridges.

No single one of these guys helps much. Need to get 1 star in the draft first, then the clock is ticking.

Boston drafted Tatum and Brown, Minnesota drafted Ant, etc.

Unless you hit in the draft, you can be mid at best.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Not sent from Tapatalk

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 3rd, 2024, 9:02 pm

If I'm the Jazz, I probably hang on to my assets for while unless a true number 1 comes available.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » May 6th, 2024, 8:51 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 9:02 pm
If I'm the Jazz, I probably hang on to my assets for while unless a true number 1 comes available.
Agreed, I didn't trade Mitchell and Gobert to acquire all these draft picks to end up with players who aren't as good as Mitchell and Gobert and are older then when they were traded. Unfortunately, most guys who would move the needle aren't available by throwing draft picks at them. Also, the Jazz have not been able to tank well enough to get a top 3 pick. They really need to win the lottery, get a top 3 pick, then with the Top 3 pick, Markanen and a couple of other guys on the team, then you package some picks to get the third wheel and all of a sudden you are enticing to free agents as well. Now you are in contention and still have enough picks to make another trade to fill any gaps and solidify the team and you are viable for the next 5 years as a contender.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 6th, 2024, 12:18 pm

The Jazz really have me scratching my head the last two years. They did a great job in acquiring assets for Gobert and Mitchell, especially the treasure trove of first round picks. But they also got players like Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt, Ochai Agbaji, and even Kelly Olynyk for Bogey... Combine them with Kessler, Sexton, and Markannen and those guys were playing well enough to lead the league in winning percentage for the first portion of the year. Then a couple injuries snuck in and half way through the year of the Wemby Sweepstakes, after we were easily secured as a playoff team the Jazz decided to throw in the towel and dumped half of their assets including Mike Conley and Nickeil Alexander Walker, Jarred Vanderbilt and Malik Beasley, for freaking Talen Horton Tucker and some scrubs from LA and a single first rounder?

Translation: Jazz were good enough to make the playoffs, but not a true championship contender yet, so they tanked 2/3 of the way into the season by trading away most of their quality players for a single first round pick in 2027.

This year rolls around and the Jazz once again are competing for a playoff spot. So they trade Kelly Olynyk and Ochai Agbaji for a single first round pick (slated to be #29 in 2024). Are you kidding me? They immediately saw the same results of a tank of epic proportion this year losing nearly every game after the trade happens. Who knew that Olynyk (and to a lesser extent Ochai) were that important to the team?

All in all, I'm not too happy with the Jazz the last two years. If you're going to tank, tank. Don't get 2/3 of the way through the year and then throw in the towel when you're contending for a playoff spot only to get a late lottery pick. It's super frustrating. Am I the only one who feels this way? I don't like cheering for a team that's able to win only to have it gutted mid-year for a single first round pick in the future over and over again. It's ridiculous.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
AngusAgaggies22USUaggieOKAggieRoy McAvoy

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 6th, 2024, 12:23 pm

A bunch of BYU guys running a professional team...what can go wrong?
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 12th, 2024, 2:53 pm

Jazz end up with the 10th pick. The "trade two superstars in their prime" strategy is sure working out for the BYU boys. What a joke
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
trevordudeaggies22

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » May 12th, 2024, 7:45 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 12th, 2024, 2:53 pm
Jazz end up with the 10th pick. The "trade two superstars in their prime" strategy is sure working out for the BYU boys. What a joke
It's tough, gotta get lucky in the draft, and catch a couple free agents for good deals.

Jazz used up their luck with Gobert and Mitchell. Not getting to the finals with those two plus Conley and Boggy is really sad.

So do we become Detroit and get the ,5th draft pick for three years running? Or do we become the Pelicans, a fun watch, but never getting past the second round?

Not sent from Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 12th, 2024, 9:23 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 12th, 2024, 2:53 pm
2025 will be a great year to tank.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 12th, 2024, 11:46 pm

Given the Jazz's current situation going forward, the only real way I see out of this anytime soon is to full on tank this upcoming season. There will be a glut of star players available this next year for the right price and the draft is supposed to be loaded. If the Jazz were loaded with a top 3 draft picks and all their future picks, they could land one of those stars.

The problem is the roster currently couldn't be bottom 3 bad. I think if you just played all the young guys and had load management with Markkanen you could get there though. I don't see how they get very good next season and it seems a lot of teams are waiting for one more year before they trade away their star.

Here's a list of players I think that could become available after next year for the right price. I don't think the Jazz currently have the assets to get anyone THAT good, but if they had a top 3 picks in next year's draft they could:

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Luka Doncic
Jaylen Brown
Devin Booker
De’aaron Fox
Domantis Sabonis
Bam Adebayo
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Dejounte Murray
Trey Young
Desmond Bane
Brandon Ingram
Mikal Bridges
Coby White
RJ Barrett

Lastly, I really disagree with espn’s nba player ranking.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » May 14th, 2024, 3:49 pm

Jerry Sloan, John Stockton, and Karl Malone got the Utah Jazz as close as anyone ever has to a title.

They did it with a hard-nosed attitude and a scrappy and intense style of play, every stinking night.

That is why Karl Malone became known as "The Mailman".
He delivered every night. On both ends of the court. With thunderous offensive and defensive play.

And that is why Stockton became known as the Pasty Gangster and Quiet Assassin.

He would rip you apart with his defense and his passing. And he would do it with a funny little smile on his face.

And the funny thing was, I think both of them were terrified of Coach Jerry Sloan.

It became a bit of a running joke in the NBA. Utah would come to play every night. No matter what. This is just who they were. With a coach like Sloan and super-stars like Stockton and Malone, how could they not bring it every night.

As a smaller market NBA Franchise, with probably not as deep of pockets as many of the large market teams, this is just what these guys had to do in order to go home and sleep at night. Kids nowadays are just not wired that way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic