Interesting bowl projections

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LKGates

Interesting bowl projections

Post by LKGates » October 9th, 2014, 12:02 am

From ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections

Schlabach has us going to the Las Vegas Bowl. McMurphy has us going to no bowl at all. Gosh, what did we ever do to him?

Ceterum censeo, Boise State delenda est!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

ViAggie

Re: Interesting bowl projections

Post by ViAggie » October 9th, 2014, 12:06 am

lame McMuffy prediction but I'd love Vegas!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

glendayle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by glendayle » October 9th, 2014, 12:10 am

I don't feel like one is a better prediction than the other. Obviously I prefer one over the other. Hopefully Saturday turns out the way we want.

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » October 9th, 2014, 12:45 am

glendayle wrote:I don't feel like one is a better prediction than the other. Obviously I prefer one over the other. Hopefully Saturday turns out the way we want.
You honestly feel there's a chance we only win two more games this year? Out of 8 more? Including New Mexico, UNLV and Hawaii?

glendayle

Post by glendayle » October 9th, 2014, 1:29 am

Well, we need more than 2 more wins. We need 4.

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » October 9th, 2014, 1:51 am

glendayle wrote:Well, we need more than 2 more wins. We need 4.
I was under the impression that 6 gets you qualified, and no team with 7 has ever been left out. I don't think it's a "finish above .500" situation, but I'm not sure.

So in order to not go we can only win 2 (maybe 3) more.

I can understand feeling a bit shaky on the team still, but to say that our end of season record will be 5-8 or worse is straining it IMO . Hopefully Saturday helps boater confidence.

glendayle

Post by glendayle » October 9th, 2014, 2:14 am

You need 7 wins when you play 13 games which we do. As far as no team with 7 wins ever being left out, I don't think that is correct. Possibly correct for MWC teams, but not sure. I know for a fact that LaTech won 9 games 2 years ago and didn't go bowling. I'd have to go look at some history books to see if other 7 loss teams have not made bowl games. SJSU won 6 last year and no bowl game.

glendayle

Post by glendayle » October 9th, 2014, 2:16 am

I actually feel pretty good about our team, but we have been a little bit Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, so I'm just saying that I can see why either prediction could be chosen.

ConvoAggie

Post by ConvoAggie » October 9th, 2014, 2:26 am

glendayle wrote:You need 7 wins when you play 13 games which we do. As far as no team with 7 wins ever being left out, I don't think that is correct. Possibly correct for MWC teams, but not sure. I know for a fact that LaTech won 9 games 2 years ago and didn't go bowling. I'd have to go look at some history books to see if other 7 loss teams have not made bowl games. SJSU won 6 last year and no bowl game.
LaTech was not "left out," they got a bowl offer (don't remember which bowl) but they declined it, hoping to get a better offer. I didn't know 7 wins was the minimum if you played 13 games. I guess that makes sense though.

BlackJack

Post by BlackJack » October 9th, 2014, 5:02 am

Hawaii and teams that play at Hawaii can take advantage of the Hawaii Exemption which allows them to schedule 13 regular-season games.

In 2014, only 3 teams are using the Hawaii Exemption:
- Hawaii
- UNLV
- USU

Teams that play 13 games need 7 wins to be bowl-eligible (including only 1 win over an FBS opponent). This point is moot for UNLV -- the Rebels are banned from post-season play. Hawaii's chances to see the post-season might as well be the same as UNLV's -- with only 1 win so far, the Rainbows have to beat 6 of 8 MWC opponents to be bowl-eligible.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 9th, 2014, 7:19 am

UNLV is now eligible for postseason play.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 9th, 2014, 7:47 am

We'll go bowling. With the exception of CSU and Boise we are strong favorites in every other game. For those two the odds (currently) are basically even. Winning out for the remainder of the season, while unlikely, is a real possibility.

After the next two games we will know whether or not this team is going to deliver a fantastic season or not. But the chance of USU not bowling this year is miniscule - I'd say less than 5%.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 9th, 2014, 7:51 am

I think we go bowling, but I am crazy worried about AFA this weekend.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 9th, 2014, 8:19 am

GeoAg wrote:I think we go bowling, but I am crazy worried about AFA this weekend.
No kidding. The utes always have a huge letdown the week following a victory over BYU. Last time we beat BYU we went to LAtech the following week and got destroyed. Air Force is capable of beating the aggies. It is hard to come back down to earth after such an emotional win. I think we have a good chance of losing if we don't come ready to play.

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 9th, 2014, 8:44 am

I for one am past due in wanting to play a P5 team in a bowl game. I am not going to slip into Stew Morrill post season mode, and just be happy to make the dance. I want to play and beat a P5 team in a bowl game. We are at that step in my opinion, and need to get onto that step of national relevance, by beating a P5 team.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 13th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Quick update.

For week eight, McMurphy now has us going to the New Mexico Bowl vs. La Tech. Schlabach has us in the Las Vegas Bowl vs. UCLA. As an aside, McMurphy has CSU going to the Las Vegas Bowl.

Ceterum censeo, Boise State delenda est!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 13th, 2014, 1:33 pm

LV bowl against UCLA would have an interesting story line. Hundley vs his former backup.

glendayle

Post by glendayle » October 13th, 2014, 1:35 pm

I really want to play a P5 team. Would be awesome if we could win the conference and head to Vegas. The 2nd best thing to Utah not going to a bowl, would be playing them in Vegas and beating them.

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » October 13th, 2014, 1:41 pm

glendayle wrote:I really want to play a P5 team. Would be awesome if we could win the conference and head to Vegas. The 2nd best thing to Utah not going to a bowl, would be playing them in Vegas and beating them.
After getting to an Access Bowl (not likely), playing Utah in Vegas would be the best thing ever. State Championship in Vegas, sold out stadium, TONS of in-state media coverage, and BYU fans crying in Miami.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 13th, 2014, 9:11 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:LV bowl against UCLA would have an interesting story line. Hundley vs his former backup.
We better find a run game first so we can follow the Ute game plan.

austingalb

Re: Interesting bowl projections (All Utah VEGAS BOWL)

Post by austingalb » October 13th, 2014, 10:00 pm

I said this at the beginning of the season not knowing how good of a team the Utes would put together this season, but as of right now they're in the top 25 a couple wins away from becoming bowl eligible. How cool would it be is the Aggies and the Utes squared off against one another in the Vegas Bowl? It could realistically happen. I'm just daydreaming here but what a fun way to end the season. For both schools, and the entire state of Utah. Battle of Brothers in Sin City. Let's hope this happens.

SchwartZTeve

Post by SchwartZTeve » October 13th, 2014, 10:09 pm

austingalb wrote:I said this at the beginning of the season not knowing how good of a team the Utes would put together this season, but as of right now they're in the top 25 a couple wins away from becoming bowl eligible. How cool would it be is the Aggies and the Utes squared off against one another in the Vegas Bowl? It could realistically happen. I'm just daydreaming here but what a fun way to end the season. For both schools, and the entire state of Utah. Battle of Brothers in Sin City. Let's hope this happens.
I be seen a couple noon ESPN analysts who have projected it. Names escape me.

Locked Previous topicNext topic