OC?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
donlarson8

Re: OC?

Post by donlarson8 » January 15th, 2016, 4:17 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
AngusAg wrote:So assuming L Wells leaves and we go w/ co-OCs, who might be considered?

Bouknight
Canales
Calvillo
Favero
Keeton
Doman
Sanford
C. Stubbs
Fernandez
Doman? Please no. I think you meant Donman, right? ;)
I think he meant Don, man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rfield3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rfield3 » January 15th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
ususports wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:I'm sure Favero really did decline the extra 180K/yr. Who else on a teaching salary wouldn't?
We have went over this whole thing over and over on here already.
It has been established as fact (not opinion) by intelligent posters on this board that repetition is the best way to learn.
Ya'll want some light with that shade? Nowhere on this thread is it established why Favero would turn down the job.

If by "here" you mean this entire website, sorry I have a job and can't keep up with the gossip about how Favero hates Wells or whatever the CTs think about a high school football coach.
Favero has tons of family money.

Donman

Post by Donman » January 15th, 2016, 10:49 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
AngusAg wrote:So assuming L Wells leaves and we go w/ co-OCs, who might be considered?

Bouknight
Canales
Calvillo
Favero
Keeton
Doman
Sanford
C. Stubbs
Fernandez
Doman? Please no. I think you meant Donman, right? ;)
I'd make a better OC than him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 16th, 2016, 2:55 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
ususports wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:I'm sure Favero really did decline the extra 180K/yr. Who else on a teaching salary wouldn't?
We have went over this whole thing over and over on here already.
It has been established as fact (not opinion) by intelligent posters on this board that repetition is the best way to learn.
Ya'll want some light with that shade? Nowhere on this thread is it established why Favero would turn down the job.

If by "here" you mean this entire website, sorry I have a job and can't keep up with the gossip about how Favero hates Wells or whatever the CTs think about a high school football coach.
I think the answer you are looking for is that it has been reported by some that were "in the know" at the time that Favero had turned down the opportunity to interview for the job or perhaps even an offer to be OC in the distant past. Others have reported that more recent inquiries about his interest in the position have resulted in the same answer, he is not interested.

There have been numerous threads discussing his name and the possibility of bringing him aboard and why or why not he would be interested. One of the recurring points that has been brought up is that he came into some money through an inheritance or something similar and so that is not a motivating factor.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 17th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Luke is a scapegoat and not the problem. He is highly regarded in the coaching fraternity and I for one believe that without him MW would have had even greater problems. He has a very good eye and sense for talent at the skill positions. MW is an above average coach who is good for the program but with significant growing pains if not limitations. We are never going to win the Mountain West with Chuckie Keeton type quarterbacks...athletic read option qbs ...unless we get a Clemson gem like Deshaun Watson. Adam Kennedy was the last good real quarterback we had and before that it was Jose Fuentes. If we are not careful in the next year or two and persist with the Keeton, Myers, Hobbs type qb we will not get stellar wideouts like Hunter Sharp or Devonte Robinson both whose careers never were at their potential because of our athletic non passer qbs. Luke knew this time ago ...Matt has been the one late to the party.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 17th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Chuckle his sophomore year was much better than Kennedy the previous year. In my opinion of course.

HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter » January 17th, 2016, 10:33 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:Luke is a scapegoat and not the problem. He is highly regarded in the coaching fraternity and I for one believe that without him MW would have had even greater problems. He has a very good eye and sense for talent at the skill positions. MW is an above average coach who is good for the program but with significant growing pains if not limitations. We are never going to win the Mountain West with Chuckie Keeton type quarterbacks...athletic read option qbs ...unless we get a Clemson gem like Deshaun Watson. Adam Kennedy was the last good real quarterback we had and before that it was Jose Fuentes. If we are not careful in the next year or two and persist with the Keeton, Myers, Hobbs type qb we will not get stellar wideouts like Hunter Sharp or Devonte Robinson both whose careers never were at their potential because of our athletic non passer qbs. Luke knew this time ago ...Matt has been the one late to the party.
You could be right but I wouldn't call Devonte Robinson stellar. He was far from it and it had nothing to do with the QBs

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 17th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Sharpe yes, Chuck Jacobs and Matt Austin? Yep. We wasted those guys big time.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

jeepnfonz

Post by jeepnfonz » January 17th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Any new news on the home front about a who the new OC will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 18th, 2016, 7:51 am

NVAggie wrote:Chuckle his sophomore year was much better than Kennedy the previous year. In my opinion of course.
There is also a lot of evidence that supports this. One thing people miss with Keeton, is that he gets beaten up against B1G, SEC, and PAC schools, gets injured and then guys like Kennedy play and beat the Idaho Vandals or the Lobos and at the end of the year people look at the records and claim that Keeton is worse than Kennedy because that is what is suggested by the records. It's less true with Kennedy than it is with Myers and Garretson but there is still some truth to it.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 18th, 2016, 9:33 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
NVAggie wrote:Chuckle his sophomore year was much better than Kennedy the previous year. In my opinion of course.
There is also a lot of evidence that supports this. One thing people miss with Keeton, is that he gets beaten up against B1G, SEC, and PAC schools, gets injured and then guys like Kennedy play and beat the Idaho Vandals or the Lobos and at the end of the year people look at the records and claim that Keeton is worse than Kennedy because that is what is suggested by the records. It's less true with Kennedy than it is with Myers and Garretson but there is still some truth to it.
And it's not like Kennedy was torching those teams. We squeaked out every last game that year to get to 7 wins. He was even benched in place of Morrison for a handful of series.

Texasaggie1

Post by Texasaggie1 » January 18th, 2016, 3:56 pm

IMO you can't compare a healthy Chuckie with Kennedy. The last few years tarnished just how good he was his sophomore year. He would have shattered every possible USU record if he had been able to stay on the field. I would take another healthy chuckie and so would a lot of P5 schools

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » January 18th, 2016, 4:41 pm

As good as Chuckie was his sophomore year, Junior year Chuckie was even better prior to his injury. How soon is he going to be joining the coaching staff?

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » January 19th, 2016, 10:53 am

donlarson8 wrote:As good as Chuckie was his sophomore year, Junior year Chuckie was even better prior to his injury. How soon is he going to be joining the coaching staff?

Are grad assistants hired this early? My guess is that if he comes on as a grad assistant, he along with whomever else we bring on as a grad assistant, won't be announced until July/August, but really don't know the typical timetable. I expect that they will pursue every professional route possible until they're given a firm "no" before committing to a year+ as a grad assistant.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 19th, 2016, 12:39 pm

If I were MW I would do everything in my power to bring back Sanford as OC and get CK under him as a GA/Assistant of some sort. This would get me very excited!

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 20th, 2016, 11:38 am

Not in major disagreement with all of you Chuckie supporters. I refer to Adam Kennedy and Jose Fuentes as real quarterbacks. Chuckie is the better athlete by far. It is a stylistic thing and simply a preference of mine. In some ways much too much has been placed on Chuckie going south because of injuries. There are great quarterbacks with bum knees and Chuckie is not one of them because he is an athlete not a quarterback. Joe Namath and Craig Morton could barely walk across the street but light it up. The problem is when a team goes with an athletic quarterback like Chuckie...take away the mobility factor and they cannot produce so going against bigger, faster, and better teams the read option qb generally is going to struggle. A qb that can read defenses and make big time throws under pressure becomes the only viable option. Chuckie prformed poorly in this regard against Hawaii got hurt and in stepped Kennedy who orchestrated one of the greatest comebacks in USU football at Hawaii and salvaged a season that was average at best...that was the turning point in our program. Adam was good when he needed to be in our first Idaho Bowl game with big time throws. Chuckie was anemic when he spelled Kennedy for a series or two with his qb draws. All I am saying is if we want to go to the next level we need a pure passer with good mechanics. Injury or not Chuckie's mechanics are awful. I am still mortified by the image of a healthy Chuckie throwing that quick side line pass against BYU deep in our territory which got picked and run into the end zone at the start of the game. Chuckie has always had a hard time with that throw. Where I have good images of Chuckie is when he gets outside of containment such as the year he ran for a touchdown against the UTES and won the game. I am just saying that if the program wants to go a step apove where we are now we need to get a real quarterback not an athlete transformed to play quarterback. Boise State rose to prominence with Kellen Moore a surgical passer but clearly not with the height and rocket arm of the desired heavily recruited QBs. Same can be said for Luke Falk not especially impressive as physical specimen for the position but he is a great passer. He has accomplished much more than Chuckie in terms of beating big schools and getting awards. How he did not end up at USU is beyond me. But then again a good deal of Luke's success may be system driven and he would have underachieved and never shined within our current offensive system. So I will leave it at perhaps Chuckie is as a good as you all say when considered in the context of our system but as a real quarterback I just dont see it. I dont consider RGIII a good quarterback despite his college career. Cousins on the other hand...

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 20th, 2016, 11:56 am

I think people have a romanticized memory of how good Kennedy really was. He was the QB of one of the greatest wins in USU history. But outside of that game, he wasn't amazing.

Maybe mediocre at best (see what I did there? :))

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 20th, 2016, 12:31 pm

brownjeans wrote:I think people have a romanticized memory of how good Kennedy really was. He was the QB of one of the greatest wins in USU history. But outside of that game, he wasn't amazing.

Brown Jeans - Love it. He certainly did not light it up at Arkansas State his last year. I concede probably not as a great as I think but being an old schooler I have a bias for the taller strong arm qb and system. I can live with that as it was a romanticized moment and a memorable one in our program.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 20th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
brownjeans wrote:I think people have a romanticized memory of how good Kennedy really was. He was the QB of one of the greatest wins in USU history. But outside of that game, he wasn't amazing.
Brown Jeans - Love it. He certainly did not light it up at Arkansas State his last year. I concede probably not as a great as I think but being an old schooler I have a bias for the taller strong arm qb and system. I can live with that as it was a romanticized moment and a memorable one in our program.
It was an amazing game and I don't mean to dismiss Kennedy's role in it - but he wasn't always that good. Still, on that day, he was a god throwing lightning!

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » January 20th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Due to great work by the receivers adjusting to under thrown passes.

Texasaggie1

Post by Texasaggie1 » January 20th, 2016, 2:33 pm

I am not sure how great Falk would be with our offensive line. Take away time to throw the ball and all great quarterbacks can look pretty average quickly. I agree with you that I would take a "traditional" quarterback if it is between a one-dimensional qb (running only) and a traditional qb.

I think a good example is how Alabama did against Michigan state vs how they did against Clemson. I realize you can't put everything on the qb, but the qb dictated the type of defense that Alabama could run. Connor Cook is a traditional qb in every sense of the word, and there was zero chance of him running for any major yards. Alabama could use their 5 star talent on the dline to rush early and often and the scoreboard reflected their domination.

Deshaun Watson on the other hand forced Alabama to contain him in the pocket, and he had a lot more time to find his receivers. IMO I believe USU has a better chance of competing with a dual threat qb than lining up with the big boys with a traditional passer. We just need to be a threat to throw the ball as well.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 20th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Jack - Now that you refreshed my memory I remember one particular throw that was adjustment related to bail out Kennedy in that game. So Brownjeans is correct memories get enhanced and skewed after the fact with someting so fantastic...give me a couple more years and that team will go down in my memory bank as a national Top 25. I am so thankful for that night because that was the springboard for the program where they learned how to win.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 20th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Texasaggie1 wrote:I am not sure how great Falk would be with our offensive line. Take away time to throw the ball and all great quarterbacks can look pretty average quickly. I agree with you that I would take a "traditional" quarterback if it is between a one-dimensional qb (running only) and a traditional qb.

I think a good example is how Alabama did against Michigan state vs how they did against Clemson. I realize you can't put everything on the qb, but the qb dictated the type of defense that Alabama could run. Connor Cook is a traditional qb in every sense of the word, and there was zero chance of him running for any major yards. Alabama could use their 5 star talent on the dline to rush early and often and the scoreboard reflected their domination.

Deshaun Watson on the other hand forced Alabama to contain him in the pocket, and he had a lot more time to find his receivers. IMO I believe USU has a better chance of competing with a dual threat qb than lining up with the big boys with a traditional passer. We just need to be a threat to throw the ball as well.
Nice flip side argument which really does hold equally as well given the one dimensionality of passer versus athletic qb concept. I am one of the few on this board that thinks favorably of this years O-line and their pass blocking in particular. I think Chuckie would be harder to block for then would be a Luke Falk. I guess the landing spot in this discussion is to have a true dual threat like DW...Russell Wilson also seems to get the job done at a pro level. So its safe to say that if we are going with the dual threat qb we need one that can pass as well. We have had a lot of decent dual threat qbs from Diondre, Chuckie, and Myers but none were very good at passing the ball (regardless of Chuckie's all time career stats).

Stucki

Post by Stucki » January 20th, 2016, 3:58 pm

I don't think you guys remember how effective Chuckie was his junior year before the injury. Most of the plays he made that year were with his arm from the pocket.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » January 20th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Stucki wrote:I don't think you guys remember how effective Chuckie was his junior year before the injury. Most of the plays he made that year were with his arm from the pocket.
I'm not sure what games you were watching, I can't remember Chuckie ever looking good after his sophomore season..

This is my signature.

Sr. Tubastank

Post by Sr. Tubastank » January 20th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
Stucki wrote:I don't think you guys remember how effective Chuckie was his junior year before the injury. Most of the plays he made that year were with his arm from the pocket.
I'm not sure what games you were watching, I can't remember Chuckie ever looking good after his sophomore season..
Uh...Chuckie threw for 1388 yards, 18 TD, 2 INTs, and his completions were at 69.4% before he got hurt his JR year. So yeah he was good before he got hurt...

@Call_It_Ustate

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » January 20th, 2016, 4:14 pm

I saw the Utah and AF games in person and he looked good throwing the ball in both of those games.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » January 20th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Sr. Tubastank wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Uh...Chuckie threw for 1388 yards, 18 TD, 2 INTs, and his completions were at 69.4% before he got hurt his JR year. So yeah he was good before he got hurt...
Ok well his OTHER junior year he completed 51 of 92, with only 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. QBR of 25.4 lol (embarrassingly the year of the Heisman campaign).

I also looked it up, and when CK played in 2015, we were 2-5. Getting wins only against Nevada and SUU. Ouch.
Last edited by Aggies For Life on January 20th, 2016, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is my signature.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 20th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
Sr. Tubastank wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Ok well his OTHER junior year he completed 51 of 92, with only 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. QBR of 25.4 lol
His junior year was 2013...he played in 6 games that year. He didn't have another junior year. If you're talking about 2014 then that was his senior year and he was able to get a medical redshirt because he only played in 2.5 games.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 20th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Aggies for Life once again outs himself as a troll. I can't believe you guys actually respond to this guy with serious answers. Any real aggie fan knew what Chuckie's junior year was like before he got hurt.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 20th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:Not in major disagreement with all of you Chuckie supporters. I refer to Adam Kennedy and Jose Fuentes as real quarterbacks. Chuckie is the better athlete by far. It is a stylistic thing and simply a preference of mine. In some ways much too much has been placed on Chuckie going south because of injuries. There are great quarterbacks with bum knees and Chuckie is not one of them because he is an athlete not a quarterback. Joe Namath and Craig Morton could barely walk across the street but light it up. The problem is when a team goes with an athletic quarterback like Chuckie...take away the mobility factor and they cannot produce so going against bigger, faster, and better teams the read option qb generally is going to struggle. A qb that can read defenses and make big time throws under pressure becomes the only viable option. Chuckie prformed poorly in this regard against Hawaii got hurt and in stepped Kennedy who orchestrated one of the greatest comebacks in USU football at Hawaii and salvaged a season that was average at best...that was the turning point in our program. Adam was good when he needed to be in our first Idaho Bowl game with big time throws. Chuckie was anemic when he spelled Kennedy for a series or two with his qb draws. All I am saying is if we want to go to the next level we need a pure passer with good mechanics. Injury or not Chuckie's mechanics are awful. I am still mortified by the image of a healthy Chuckie throwing that quick side line pass against BYU deep in our territory which got picked and run into the end zone at the start of the game. Chuckie has always had a hard time with that throw. Where I have good images of Chuckie is when he gets outside of containment such as the year he ran for a touchdown against the UTES and won the game. I am just saying that if the program wants to go a step apove where we are now we need to get a real quarterback not an athlete transformed to play quarterback. Boise State rose to prominence with Kellen Moore a surgical passer but clearly not with the height and rocket arm of the desired heavily recruited QBs. Same can be said for Luke Falk not especially impressive as physical specimen for the position but he is a great passer. He has accomplished much more than Chuckie in terms of beating big schools and getting awards. How he did not end up at USU is beyond me. But then again a good deal of Luke's success may be system driven and he would have underachieved and never shined within our current offensive system. So I will leave it at perhaps Chuckie is as a good as you all say when considered in the context of our system but as a real quarterback I just dont see it. I dont consider RGIII a good quarterback despite his college career. Cousins on the other hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » January 20th, 2016, 5:15 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Sr. Tubastank wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Ok well his OTHER junior year he completed 51 of 92, with only 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. QBR of 25.4 lol
His junior year was 2013...he played in 6 games that year. He didn't have another junior year. If you're talking about 2014 then that was his senior year and he was able to get a medical redshirt because he only played in 2.5 games.
Lol ok then, so what's 2015? His super senior year?

This is my signature.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » January 20th, 2016, 5:46 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Sr. Tubastank wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Lol ok then, so what's 2015? His super senior year?
It's probably more correct to call it a redshirt-senior season, or medical redshirt senior season. But super senior works fine for me.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 20th, 2016, 6:45 pm

OC thread?

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 20th, 2016, 7:44 pm

buckfever wrote:OC thread?
Obsessive compulsive.

Locked Previous topicNext topic