Who are the finalists?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JFW_AGGIES

Re: Who are the finalists?

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 7th, 2018, 9:39 pm

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » December 7th, 2018, 9:40 pm

He should have a chip on his shoulder. Oregon State fans hate him and it seems like a lot of stuff went down behind the scenes. I hope it turns out well.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 7th, 2018, 9:41 pm

AgTime wrote:
UtahStizzle wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:31 pm
If the boosters really made this call then they better be donating a stadium upgrade or something amazing.
They already have...
That was a different era.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 7th, 2018, 9:42 pm

I have a bad taste and a bad feeling about this. Hope I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 7th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
AgTime wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm
UtahStizzle wrote:
If the boosters really made this call then they better be donating a stadium upgrade or something amazing.
They already have...
Haha I was going to say...again?! They already just did 2 years ago.
If you don't think that stadium can use way more upgrades...

Twitter: UtahStizzle

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » December 7th, 2018, 9:44 pm

UtahStizzle wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
AgTime wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm
UtahStizzle wrote:
They already have...
Haha I was going to say...again?! They already just did 2 years ago.
If you don't think that stadium can use way more upgrades...
That or better pay for assistants.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 7th, 2018, 9:48 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:30 pm
I am excited to have GA come back. I would also caution people about making a decision about the hire based on their impression of the hiring process gleaned through a mishmash of random message board posts.
This is a little more substantive than "a mishmash of random message board posts." Feldman is very connected.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 7th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:48 pm
GeoAg wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:30 pm
I am excited to have GA come back. I would also caution people about making a decision about the hire based on their impression of the hiring process gleaned through a mishmash of random message board posts.
This is a little more substantive than "a mishmash of random message board posts." Feldman is very connected.

He's so connected that 79 others are talking about it now :shock:

kofdog

Post by kofdog » December 7th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Rod Z on KSL just made the comment that the search has been shut down too.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 8th, 2018, 5:51 am

I agree with Geo however if Hartwell was forced to hire someone I would imagine he will be looking to find a new job. People with his experience and track record don't take to kindly with not being left to do the job they were hired to do. IMO

Regulator of Class

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 8th, 2018, 6:42 am

coolag wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 5:51 am
I agree with Geo however if Hartwell was forced to hire someone I would imagine he will be looking to find a new job. People with his experience and track record don't take to kindly with not being left to do the job they were hired to do. IMO
Don’t boosters influence football and basketball decision making all the time for ADs? ADs are constantly begging these boosters for money, so I’m pretty sure they have themselves to blame for giving up the high ground. The moment he finds a place without booster influence is the moment he’s stuck working at a deadend FCS school or worse. The booster pressure only gets worse the higher up you go at the D1 level.
I actually think if Hartwell’s as smart as he’s shown in the past he would’ve taken advantage of this opportunity. All of your boosters really want something and you also believe their choice isn’t a bad hire either, but if you drag out the process a little and make the boosters sweat, they may throw a little more “support” towards the program to put their money where their mouth is.
It’s possible this whole back and forth to end up with the same guy you started out with was just a “carrot dangling” scenario. Would explain Gary removing his name and getting the job on the same day. That was the final card played in this poker game which caused Hartwell to fold. On the surface it may appear like Hartwell lost, but after all that bluffing he walked away with a lot more winnings than if he’d folded at the beginning.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » December 8th, 2018, 7:03 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:
Don’t boosters influence football and basketball decision making all the time for ADs? ADs are constantly begging these boosters for money, so I’m pretty sure they have themselves to blame for giving up the high ground. The moment he finds a place without booster influence is the moment he’s stuck working at a deadend FCS school or worse. The booster pressure only gets worse the higher up you go at the D1 level.
I actually think if Hartwell’s as smart as he’s shown in the past he would’ve taken advantage of this opportunity. All of your boosters really want something and you also believe their choice isn’t a bad hire either, but if you drag out the process a little and make the boosters sweat, they may throw a little more “support” towards the program to put their money where their mouth is.
It’s possible this whole back and forth to end up with the same guy you started out with was just a “carrot dangling” scenario. Would explain Gary removing his name and getting the job on the same day. That was the final card played in this poker game which caused Hartwell to fold. On the surface it may appear like Hartwell lost, but after all that bluffing he walked away with a lot more winnings than if he’d folded at the beginning.
If this is really what happened, I don’t have the same rosy outlook about this situation as you do. But I certainly hope for the best.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 8th, 2018, 7:08 am

Heisenberg wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 7:03 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:
If this is really what happened, I don’t have the same rosy outlook about this situation as you do. But I certainly hope for the best.

You’d prefer actual bad feelings between Hartwell and the boosters? Or do you not like to think about how much money influences college athletics? We may have gotten deeper commitment from our boosters through this process.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » December 8th, 2018, 7:22 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:
Spot on. Nobody should be alarmed that boosters played a role in the hire. That is today’s world of college athletics. Boosters are essential to the success of a program and because of that they have influence. Welcome home Gary!

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » December 8th, 2018, 7:25 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 7:03 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:

You’d prefer actual bad feelings between Hartwell and the boosters? Or do you not like to think about how much money influences college athletics? We may have gotten deeper commitment from our boosters through this process.
I guess I’m just saying that your scenario involves a lot of speculation and if the boosters and Hartwell were not on the same page at any time, and ultimately a power play by GA and the boosters was deployed, I worry about how things ultimately play out in the end.

Having said that, I also recognize that all the discussions on this board are pure speculation and only time will tell how everything works out. I am hoping for nothing but the best and believe Andersen brings so much to the table that I am excited for the future of Aggie football.

I guess I could also add as a PS that I have a strong understanding of the relationships between 501c3 nonprofit organizations and high net worth donors. That’s partially why I expressed some apprehension over your scenario.

blublood

Post by blublood » December 8th, 2018, 7:32 am

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ing-search

Some big name were in the works sounds like...

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 8th, 2018, 7:42 am

blublood wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 7:32 am
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ing-search

Some big name were in the works sounds like...

Can't say that Rich Rodriguez, Mark Helfrich, or Matt Canada were really that intriguing to me. Sure they all had some success, but each ended up failing pretty big.

Andersen had a bad time at OSU, but succeeded here and did alright at Wisconsin.

I do like the hire.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 8th, 2018, 7:43 am

20-5 at Wisconsin is just ok?

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 8th, 2018, 7:48 am

slcagg wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 7:43 am
20-5 at Wisconsin is just ok?
The 59-0 lost in the Championship Game against OSU wasn't the brightest moment.

Plus a 20-5 record is a requirement for a top 10 program like Wisconsin. It isn't like he was turning around one of the dregs of FBS.

He certainly didn't fail, but he didn't elevate them to the very elite either. (Tough to do in only 2 years.)
Last edited by NowhereLandAggie on December 8th, 2018, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

blublood

Post by blublood » December 8th, 2018, 7:48 am

Looks like Matt Canada was OC at Wisconsin in 2012. Maybe there is a little bit of a connection with Gary and he could end up at Utah State as an assistant?

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 8th, 2018, 7:50 am

I'm fired up to have Gary Back. Go watch the highlight video's of his past USU teams! Physical, fast and very intense! Love the way our teams played under his leadership.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 8th, 2018, 8:16 am

This past August I turned 70 years old. I have seen Aggie football since 1956. For what it’s worth, this is the first time it seems like we are a big time school. The higher quality of the applicants to the high level of donor pressure....it’s what the big boys often go through. I’m not in the least concerned with how things happened (as we think we know them); except for how long will be GA’s tenure this time.
Hartwell.needs to learn the same thing...which I think he has as per hipsters reasoning.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » December 8th, 2018, 3:50 pm

DOGIE. You said let’s be frank here! No we don’t want Frank here. We hate Frank. We poke fun at him. He’s always pissed because he lives in las cruces

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm

buckfever wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 3:50 pm
DOGIE. You said let’s be frank here! No we don’t want Frank here. We hate Frank. We poke fun at him. He’s always pissed because he lives in las cruces
Oh, no! When did Maile go to Las Cruces?!

Locked Previous topicNext topic