Homecoming Parade in Jeopardy

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Usu0505

Re: Homecoming Parade in Jeopardy

Post by Usu0505 » March 19th, 2019, 1:28 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:36 pm
This is easy. Charge an entry fee for the politicians, dance companies, and commercial entities that want to be in the parade that is sufficient to pay the cost. If they don't want to pay, fine, we don't want to look at their advertising.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Bingo. That's why there are so many politicians, business, and dance companies in the parade. Free advertising. Make them pay, the number reduces, quality of parade goes up, and Logan City is happily compensated for supporting the parade.
I do have to admit that this is a great idea. How many times do you literally see a company on bicycles with their 5 dollar t shirts on and a little tiny banner. That is not a float that is a guy standing on the corner of a business waving a sign. There is nothing wrong with that but it has no place in a parade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » March 19th, 2019, 1:40 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 1:03 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:07 pm
brownjeans wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:46 am
This is about to get real sandboxy and not directly about the homecoming parade... but government services aren't like business services. Government services are paid for, compulsorily, by taxes. We shouldn't be compelled to pay taxes for government services if we also have to pay extra for when they actually provide those services.

If that's the way we're going to do it, let's get rid of taxes all together and instead simply pay for the services we desire when we desire them.
Yeah, probably going to get sandboxy, but in a polite way!

My counter question from my HR career perspective... is providing security for a parade or other extracurricular events in the regular/normal job duties of a Logan City police officer? I have a friend who's dad was an "Events" officer for the Phoenix police department, but that is one of the biggest cities in the country, so having a dedicated events team of police was likely budgeted and was 100% part of his job duties. Logan is clearly not big enough for that type of specialized team.

Police officers are generally hourly (likely unionized though unsure about Logan) employees. While the city can budget for SOME overtime, based on the Mayor's statements, it sounds like the number of events requesting extra security has grown. It also sounds like they've had a hard time finding enough officers to staff all those extra events during their regular time off. They will need to find budget to either hire more officers or to spend more on OT, while likely also dealing with union rules. So... sure, raise the taxes to pay for the increased overtime/new officer costs or request the events to foot the bill. I don't live in Logan anymore, but my guess is a tax increase is unlikely to pass there.
It's been part of the regular/normal job duties forever.

Governments, even governments with conservative leadership, love to spend money and grow their empire. Government bloat is a problem in Logan.
If we measured the percentage of population growth in the past 40 years and compared it to the percentage of government spending in the past 40 years, I bet the percentage-growth of government spending has outpaced the percentage-growth of the population.
Covering a couple events may have been, but as they mayor said, the number of events they're getting requests for has grown significantly (I don't have the data, so am taking the mayors word). Police officers are non-exempt employees and therefore covered by overtime regulations, so anything beyond 40 hours (maybe lower depending on their union contract) is required by the Fair Labor Standards Act to be paid at 1.5x.

To cover the new events the city will either need to hire more officers or pay more hours in overtime, either way they will need more money to do so. That's either through raising taxes or asking the event organizers to pay. It is not equitable or wise to only make some of the events pay for it. If they can't get the money to cover the extra costs they'll have to stop approving events.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 19th, 2019, 2:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:44 am
Why not just hold the parade on campus? Or as someone who has become pretty anti-parade anyway, we could use this as an opportunity to end all parades.
I wouldn't be opposed to ending cheerleading and parades. They both served their purpose and now it is time to move on as a society.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
donlarson8

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Ahbye wrote:So when Logan City wants to use Maverik Stadium every year for their fireworks celebration and USU Police have to work the event our of USU's budget, I guess we can tell them it's $10,000 now because we suddenly can't afford it? Without the university, Logan City is Preston. The tax dollars that come in every week in hotels, sales, restaurants, jobs, etc. more than pay for the measly 2 hour parade.
^^^^^^this

The people of Logan have no freaking clue what USU does for them and their economy. USU is the third largest driver in the Utah economy behind Hill AFB and UofU.

How much revenue does one football game generate for Logan? Far more than the $2,000 it takes to have 20 extra officers there for two hours.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 19th, 2019, 2:51 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm
Ahbye wrote:So when Logan City wants to use Maverik Stadium every year for their fireworks celebration and USU Police have to work the event our of USU's budget, I guess we can tell them it's $10,000 now because we suddenly can't afford it? Without the university, Logan City is Preston. The tax dollars that come in every week in hotels, sales, restaurants, jobs, etc. more than pay for the measly 2 hour parade.
^^^^^^this

The people of Logan have no freaking clue what USU does for them and their economy. USU is the third largest driver in the Utah economy behind Hill AFB and UofU.

How much revenue does one football game generate for Logan? Far more than the $2,000 it takes to have 20 extra officers there for two hours.

Funny thing is, we don't even use LCPD officers for football games. They want money to come up and direct traffic on their own roads for taxpayers visiting or living in their city, spending money that benefits their city, creating memories with their kids that will come and do the same when they grow up.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » March 19th, 2019, 3:50 pm

One thing I noticed when first arriving in Pullman in 1957 was that every business displayed WSU Cougar donation plaques at a significant amounts and that on game day one could virtually sleep in the middle of Main Street without fear of being run over.
Logan businesses cry like stuck pigs if a basketball game is moved to SLC in an effort to build Aggie support for the university and athletics. Close town and gown cooperation is essential for a university.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 19th, 2019, 4:48 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm
^^^^^^this

That was my thought! These two events bring in more money than what they are paying the officers. And really are the officers in Logan really that busy? Cut back the hours at other times when they are not so busy. It is also good pr for the city to have the officers out in public performing service. Go Aggies!

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 19th, 2019, 4:56 pm

I really don't think it is smart to side yourself against the university. Just me.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 19th, 2019, 4:57 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Covering a couple events may have been, but as they mayor said, the number of events they're getting requests for has grown significantly (I don't have the data, so am taking the mayors word). Police officers are non-exempt employees and therefore covered by overtime regulations, so anything beyond 40 hours (maybe lower depending on their union contract) is required by the Fair Labor Standards Act to be paid at 1.5x.

To cover the new events the city will either need to hire more officers or pay more hours in overtime, either way they will need more money to do so. That's either through raising taxes or asking the event organizers to pay. It is not equitable or wise to only make some of the events pay for it. If they can't get the money to cover the extra costs they'll have to stop approving events.
The problem isn't that they're not getting enough money, it's that they're spending too much on building their kingdom. Stop building the government empire and start spending the money serving the ACTUAL needs of the people, and they'll have more than enough money for every parade anyone could want (hopefully none - like I said, I'm with hipster). The people of Logan require very little government.

My wife and I have a long-standing deal. I don't make her eat in restaurants that serve Pepsi and she doesn't make me go to parades. It's been a great marriage so far.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm

And yet they can spend millions for a new library and parking garage. :bangwall: :headscratch:
Last edited by blueaggie on March 19th, 2019, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 4:57 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:

The problem isn't that they're not getting enough money, it's that they're spending too much on building their kingdom. Stop building the government empire and start spending the money serving the ACTUAL needs of the people, and they'll have more than enough money for every parade anyone could want (hopefully none - like I said, I'm with hipster). The people of Logan require very little government.

My wife and I have a long-standing deal. I don't make her eat in restaurants that serve Pepsi and she doesn't make me go to parades. It's been a great marriage so far.
That's barbaric!

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 19th, 2019, 5:03 pm

blueaggie wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm
And yet they can spend millions for a new library and parking garage.
And a large building on Main Street they have no clue what to do with.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 19th, 2019, 5:06 pm

I believe resources could be put into a better event than a parade for homecoming. I've almost never seen any effort put into it by participants. If floats were made other than a pickup truck with a balloon tied onto it- maybe it'd be worth it.

Would rather have a better concert, better student events, Alumni networking events, job recruiting events for students with alumni, club/college/class softball game, an alumni basketball game, etc.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
donlarson8

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 19th, 2019, 5:11 pm

How much does USU pay in property tax?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 19th, 2019, 5:23 pm

freakboy wrote:How much does USU pay in property tax?
Cities are funded primarily from sales tax and only a portion from property tax.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » March 19th, 2019, 7:56 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:21 am
Wanted to put this where it would get seen. Mods feel free to move it if necessary.

Logan City recently decided it would no longer sponsor the costs of blocking off city streets for parades in Logan. There is an article in the Herald Journal today about the end of the Cruise In parade which states that the city has also notified USU that it will no longer sponsor the homecoming parade.

https://www.hjnews.com/news/government/ ... BGpDJawkdU

From the article:
The Cruise-In parade is not the only event being affected by the city’s attempts to curtail subsidized events. Daines said the organizers of the Utah State University Homecoming parade were sent a similar letter.
It's pathetic that a city that benefits(even exists) from the University the way it does continually gives that university the middle finger. I think it's time we Aggie fans send Mayor Daines our opinions on the matter.

Mayor's Office
Mayor Holly H. Daines
435-716-9002
holly.daines@loganutah.org
"I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen! (National Anthem humming)...."

Too bad.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » March 19th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
This is easy. Charge an entry fee for the politicians, dance companies, and commercial entities that want to be in the parade that is sufficient to pay the cost. If they don't want to pay, fine, we don't want to look at their advertising.

They do. It’s $100

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 20th, 2019, 7:27 am

TrueBlueFan wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 10:25 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

They do. It’s $100
Where does that money go?

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » March 20th, 2019, 8:30 am

treesap32 wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 7:27 am
TrueBlueFan wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 10:25 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

They do. It’s $100
Where does that money go?
I’m not positive, but I know that the event organizer the Alumni Association, so I’m assuming that they get to keep the proceeds. I am going on a run with a member of the Alumni Association later this week, who is the former coordinator for the parade. I’ll ask him.

I do know that that have been trying to find a “main sponsor” and they are asking $10,000. The sponsor would get the parade named after them. They have tried for years and have not found one. I know that because I’ve been asked to sponsor it, but honestly, that is too much money for any small business to fork up. It would definitely have to be a large corporation that would sponsor it.

I think that the point about businesses on Main Street not liking the parade passing by them is by in large false. I’ve sat in many promotion committees and every time we are very happy to have it come right in front of our stores. We definitely see the benefit of bringing people downtown.

One problem is that there are so many vacancies right now, it just looks dead. Now, that is another topic that opens a can of worms. Mayor Peterson screwed up a whole block in downtown by buying the emporium and then made it worse by kicking out the few businesses that were in it. Mayor Dianes has done nothing to fix it and has actually made it worse in my opinion by trying to throw the library in a commercial development that will cost millions.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 20th, 2019, 8:49 am

While we are discussing issues of Parades causing Traffic problems I say get rid of all the Bike races, move out of the way or get Coal Rolled.

Blue23

Post by Blue23 » March 20th, 2019, 9:03 am

It's an important conversation and I'm glad we're having it.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » March 20th, 2019, 9:41 am

Machismo wrote:While we are discussing issues of Parades causing Traffic problems I say get rid of all the Bike races, move out of the way or get Coal Rolled.
What do you mean by “move out of the way?”

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 20th, 2019, 9:57 am

tetonaggie wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:41 am
Machismo wrote:While we are discussing issues of Parades causing Traffic problems I say get rid of all the Bike races, move out of the way or get Coal Rolled.
What do you mean by “move out of the way?”

When Pedal Bikers are riding side by side taking up the lane with traffic backed up behind them they need to "move out of the way" I don't own a diesel but I saw some Peddlers get smoked because they just would not move out of the way so traffic could get by them. :lol:

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 20th, 2019, 10:01 am

I don’t see how 12 police officers working for 2 hours, plus 4 utility employees working 3 hours equals 10k.

12x2x$56+4x3x$48=$1920

Hail Aggies!

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » March 20th, 2019, 10:03 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 4:57 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:

That's a much much much bigger conversation that I have zero insight on. Based on how the city has prioritized their budget they apparently do not have enough money right now to police all of the events in Logan without charging a fee. Whether they're spending the other money on the right things to open up budget for parade policing is a question I cannot answer. :cheers:

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 20th, 2019, 10:05 am

Usu0505 wrote:
rAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:12 am
NVAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 10:46 am
NVAggie wrote:What is this about the golf course?
http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/ar ... JEcYaRMElQ

Not to mention the country club has struggled for some time now finding enough people to buy memberships to keep it open.
As an equity member of the Logan Golf and Country Club, this is inaccurate. We could absolutely use more equity members, but the club is currently in the black. A lot of members left after getting assessed multiple times after the new clubhouse was built at the worst possible time, but everything is back on track in large part thanks to extremely robust social membership growth.

That all said, the broader point that this isn't a community that will by and large pay for golf memberships is pretty accurate.
I was going to add, and I should have, that I can’t accurately speak to what shape the country club is currently in. I just know for certain in the not too distant past they were struggling. Especially after the new club house was built and that was one of the things this company wanted to do. Not a new club house but to add a gym or some crazy thing like that. It was just. Really bad idea by our mayor.

As a non-equity member I can assure you, the food is cooked and the drinks are wet.

Hail Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2019, 10:11 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 10:01 am
I don’t see how 12 police officers working for 2 hours, plus 4 utility employees working 3 hours equals 10k.

12x2x$56+4x3x$48=$1920

That's because they flood the streets with 50 officers, not 12.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2019, 10:13 am

blueaggie wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm
And yet they can spend millions for a new library and parking garage. :bangwall: :headscratch:
Or at least spend $20,000 on a study about where to put them and another $10,000 on a study to determine if putting planter boxes with trees down the middle of main street is a good idea.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 20th, 2019, 10:19 am

It has been well over 10 years since I went to a parade. Haven’t cared for them since I was pre-teen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 20th, 2019, 10:25 am

My kids love the parade. We go up every year. I don’t care much for them myself, but I do get a bunch of mini footballs and frisbees
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Machismo

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 20th, 2019, 12:25 pm

The only reason I ever went to the Homecoming parade was because I was required to in Air Force ROTC. Every year, we would march up Main Street and I would be completely confused as to why everyone was out there watching us. What is so exciting about parades? I don't get it. I dreaded July 4th because my wife would drag me and the kids to the Hyrum parade. I do not understand why anyone would want to go watch a bunch of people walk down the street. It is baffling to me.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » March 20th, 2019, 1:47 pm

I liked parades as a kid. My kids liked parades when they were young and my grandkids now like parades. I still like going to them but the commercial stuff they are full of now days pisses me off. Marching bands, floats (the old fashoned kind), horses, old cars all good stuff.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 20th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 5:06 pm
If floats were made other than a pickup truck with a balloon tied onto it- maybe it'd be worth it.
It ain't exactly the Rose Parade. What do you expect from the Greeks and Hyrum stakes?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » March 20th, 2019, 6:59 pm

aggies22 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

12x2x$56+4x3x$48=$1920

You're missing the opportunity cost. While they are watching the parade, they aren't out there writing chicken (I can't express myself without swearing) tickets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post:
aggies22

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:59 pm
aggies22 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

12x2x$56+4x3x$48=$1920

You're missing the opportunity cost. While they are watching the parade, they aren't out there writing chicken s*** tickets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm sure the chicken $hit ticket writing continues during the parade.

Locked Previous topicNext topic