The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sancho839

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by sancho839 » May 6th, 2021, 2:09 pm

I love how this board has gone from shi++ing on players who play for the Aggies to shi++ing on players before they get a chance to play for the Aggies.
These users thanked the author sancho839 for the post (total 6):
cvalBustaMcNuttOrangeCountyAggieReal Life AggiebluegrouseMetsJetsAggies

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 1:25 pm
Aglicious wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 1:06 pm
Yossarian wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:00 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:25 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:06 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:01 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:46 am
A couple transfer commitments of note:

Drew Buggs (Hawaii —> MO —> Winthrop). We had shown interest last year when he left Hawaii. Not sure if Odom’s staff had contacted him this go around or not.

Brandon Knapper (Eastern Kentucky —> San Jose St). Averaged 18+ pts in only 23 minutes. Tim Miles is doing well in the portal.

Lobos have 8-9 guys in the portal. Most of them are bench guys though. They did pick up some P5 transfers to add to the few good pieces that they are keeping (Maluach, Singleton, Manuel, Brown, Francis,...)
UNM and SJSU should be improved next year, which will only be good for the conference.

I wish at least one more of our bench guys would enter the portal. Once Rollie and Marco entered the portal, I was kinda hoping for more of an “Extreme Makeover: Aggie Roster Edition” this offseason, but that didn’t happen. Other than Ashworth, Shulga, and a tiny sliver of hope left with Bairstow, I am VERY bearish on our remaining returning bench guys.

I do really like the returning starters we have in Bean and Miller. If we get that penetrating pass first point god, Miller is going to take another leap next year if he can get healthy.
A pass-first point god would be awesome! :lol: With Miller though, I don't buy it. We've all been waiting for Miller to take a "leap" since 2017. The Brock Miller we saw against Texas Tech is about all that can be expected, unfortunately. I am Barrish on McBuckets, Barristow, Shulga, and even Hamoda; they all have promise and significant potential. Will, they ever reach it? Who knows but Miller is who he is.
You describe being bullish on those guys, not bearish.

Brock Miller was damn good this year until injuries hobbled him. I sometimes wonder if some of you watched the same team as I did this year, and think there’s some “backup quarterback being the most popular guy on the team” effect with some of the guys playing behind Brock. Brock Miller has been a three year starter on some of our best teams for a reason.

I am excited to see how Shulga develops, I am on my last legs with Bairstow (although I think he can be a useful MW player at the three spot). I am okay with the Hamoda signing, though I think a development type player is kind of a weird use of a scholarship right now (considering roster needs and the transfer portal era) unless the coaches are expecting a Neemi-like freshman year out of him.

Returns on McBuckets and Zapala have not been good.

No explanation on Liam is good for him. He has either been not good enough to get spot minutes, or too frail and oft injured to get spot minutes. Neither bodes well. Zapala was stuck on the depth chart behind Dorius, and while I appreciate what we got from Dorius, that doesn’t bode well for Zapala.

Just my thoughts!

Very true for McChesney - on a team in desperate need of outside shooting last year and McChesney being hailed as an above-average outside shooter, the fact that he couldn't get off the bench is curious and disturbing. What is up with him?

For the last scholarship - do you look for a primary ball-handler/distributor type of a player? Or do you look for a guy that can lock down the best wing player on the other team? I think, with the loss of Anthony, we need the latter for than the former. We need someone long and athletic enough to be a lock-down wing/guard defender. We don't have Queta to make up for poor perimeter defense anymore.
McChesney broke his ankle in December. Sometime after the College of Idaho game he appeared on the sideline with his foot in a boot and riding a scooter. He wasn't having a hard time getting off the bench - he wasn't even on it. He didn't dress the remainder of the season.
Ok. We’ll see if he’s got anything this upcoming year.
But I’ll note he was here for an entire season and never got even spot minutes when we could have used some shooting. He also never got even spot minutes at the beginning of this year before the injury.

I don’t think he’s a MW level player. I guess we’ll find out next year. I would love to be wrong about him.
I'm not sure he is either but Craig Smith did mentioned in his coaches show that Liam's injury was that much more disappointing because he was on the verge of getting PT as part of the rotation right before it happened.

I will say that in the few minutes he got right before the injury he appeared far more athletic than I initially thought he would be. He moved really well for a legit 6'-10" guy. He could handle the ball, and Smith commented that he was far more than a great shooter; that he expected him to be one of the better passers and a potential double digit rebounder.

I'm in wait and see mode with him. He has size and skills that are not common so we may just need to be patient with him. We have to remind ourselves that when he was an incoming Freshman we had a team that was being picked to win the conference with all sorts of returning experience so it would have taken something pretty special to crack the rotation on that team. He was also living in a different country for the 1st time and had graduated early to get to USU as a 17-year old. He's still young with 2 years in the program.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
slcaggOrangeCountyAggiebluegrouse

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 6th, 2021, 2:35 pm

sancho839 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 2:09 pm
I love how this board has gone from shi++ing on players who play for the Aggies to shi++ing on players before they get a chance to play for the Aggies.
Strange, isn't it?
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
bluegrouse

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 2:35 pm
sancho839 wrote:
Strange, isn't it?
I wouldn’t say I’m (I can't express myself without swearing) on Liam. I hope he pans out, I just don’t think he will. Hope I am wrong!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 6th, 2021, 2:52 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
sancho839 wrote:
Strange, isn't it?
I wouldn’t say I’m (I can't express myself without swearing) on Liam. I hope he pans out, I just don’t think he will. Hope I am wrong!
I'd love to see him have a great year this year. Wait and see, I suppose. I've got my tickets renewed and hope we all get to be live in the Spectrum!

rAggie

Post by rAggie » May 6th, 2021, 3:54 pm

Sounds like a certain former Logan High player entered the portal today and the news will "officially" break tomorrow. This will be a tremendous pickup for the Aggies.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
2004AG

Showing my True Colors since 2022

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 6th, 2021, 3:57 pm

rAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 3:54 pm
Sounds like a certain former Logan High player entered the portal today and the news will "officially" break tomorrow. This will be a tremendous pickup for the Aggies.
Who?

cval

Post by cval » May 6th, 2021, 4:01 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 3:57 pm
rAggie wrote:
Who?
Rylan Jones?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 6th, 2021, 4:08 pm

cval wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:01 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 3:57 pm
rAggie wrote:
Who?
Rylan Jones?
Yea

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Jones would fill the PG need. He wouldn't be the most exciting pickup, but I wouldn't complain.

And would Jones coming mean Falslev would come?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 4:12 pm

Seems like a great pickup to me..He was pretty good as a frosh but injured a bit as a sophomore..If healthy he is a player..

AGGIEinIOWA

The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 6th, 2021, 4:13 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:54 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:45 pm
Rylan Jones?? :headscratch:
What about him?
I hope we have another scholarship come available because I hope we're not done after this.
Well, welcome Rylan Jones. He will be a useful player for us. Had a nice freshman year, was a 4-star recruit, and next year will just be a “do-over” of his disappointing season this year, cause he still has 3 years to play left.

But I join you in hoping we can find at least one more scholarship.
So is there any actual substance to this Rylan Jones rumor? I didn’t think he was even in the portal. He does have one of the best Asst/TO ratios in the nation. That isn’t a bad quality for a primary ball handler.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:11 pm
Jones would fill the PG need. He wouldn't be the most exciting pickup, but I wouldn't complain.

How would you feel if transferred last year instead of after this pst year?

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:20 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Definitely better. If he can produce at his freshman level or better, he'll be pretty solid.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

rAggie

Post by rAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:24 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:13 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:54 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:45 pm
Rylan Jones?? :headscratch:
What about him?
I hope we have another scholarship come available because I hope we're not done after this.
Well, welcome Rylan Jones. He will be a useful player for us. Had a nice freshman year, was a 4-star recruit, and next year will just be a “do-over” of his disappointing season this year, cause he still has 3 years to play left.

But I join you in hoping we can find at least one more scholarship.
So is there any actual substance to this Rylan Jones rumor? I didn’t think he was even in the portal. He does have one of the best Asst/TO ratios in the nation. That isn’t a bad quality for a primary ball handler.
I was told he entered the portal today but doesn't show up for 24 hours, the NCAA makes them wait or something. So the news should come out tomorrow, and all indications are he has one destination.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » May 6th, 2021, 4:24 pm

nvspuds wrote:Seems like a great pickup to me..He was pretty good as a frosh but injured a bit as a sophomore..If healthy he is a player..
Yeah. But these guys were expecting Ja Morant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
2004AG

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 6th, 2021, 4:25 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:20 pm
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Definitely better. If he can produce at his freshman level or better, he'll be pretty solid.
10 ppg true freshman from the pac 12 is potentially all conference type player for us. However I have no idea what happened this year. So maybe that is more who he is?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
3rdGenAggie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 6th, 2021, 4:32 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:25 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

10 ppg true freshman from the pac 12 is potentially all conference type player for us. However I have no idea what happened this year. So maybe that is more who he is?
Not to mention who his coach was at the time! :puke:
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:32 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:25 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Alright...you're convincing me. Hopefully he is who he was as a freshman.

He played 17 out of 25 games they played last year so either he was hurt or got COVID or something. That may have played a role in his decreased production. For context he played in 28 of 31 as a freshman.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:32 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
sancho839 wrote:
Strange, isn't it?
Just like I'll be waiting two more years to see if Miller ever gets out of his "shooting slump" and stops giving the ball to the other team. But I doubt he will. Hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on May 6th, 2021, 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 4:33 pm

I think he got injured twice..it was also a bad situation in SLC because the coach was losing his team and his job.

He put up similar numbers to Sherfield as a frosh..I am thinking he will do really well..

My one question is this..If he has yet to hit the portal or done so quite recently how can there be a staement tomorrow that he will be a Baggie? When did he and Odom have this chat? Until a kid is actually in the portal you can't talk to him.

hmmmmm....
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieReal Life Aggie

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 6th, 2021, 4:34 pm

So do you think that Smith figured that by not retaining Dad on staff this would happen? Hence the recruitment of Rollie?
Doesn't matter if Odom thinks this is his guy for last scholly then I'm on board.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:39 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:33 pm
My one question is this..If he has yet to hit the portal or done so quite recently how can there be a staement tomorrow that he will be a Baggie? When did he and Odom have this chat? Until a kid is actually in the portal you can't talk to him.

hmmmmm....
True, but his dad or other representative could be talking to Odom. I don't know how legal that is, but it happens all the time.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Coach Jones is the new head coach at Highland High School, incidentally. I wish him well there he is an awesome dude.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » May 6th, 2021, 4:44 pm

If we get this version of Jones, he is absolutely a needle mover. We will have 2 undersized PG’s, but Jones is a true floor general.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 6th, 2021, 4:59 pm

If Jones can beat BYU, we'll take him.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
AggiePT

Eutaw St. Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 6th, 2021, 5:02 pm

I think this is a great pickup. Can't wait

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 6th, 2021, 5:11 pm

I thought we all craved star ratings?

https://247sports.com/player/rylan-jones-45572873/

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 5:15 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 5:11 pm
I thought we all craved star ratings?

https://247sports.com/player/rylan-jones-45572873/
I am warming to Rylan Jones as an Aggie. He has had a really good year, was a 4-star recruit, and plays the position we need the most.

He also has three more years of eligibility.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
AggiePTBLUERUFiO

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2021, 5:17 pm

nvspuds wrote:
I think he got injured twice..it was also a bad situation in SLC because the coach was losing his team and his job.

He put up similar numbers to Sherfield as a frosh..I am thinking he will do really well..

hmmmmm....
Exactly! I don't believe for one second that any conversation about Rylan Jones becoming an Aggie has occurred. Regardless of what loserboard or anyone on this board says.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2021, 5:18 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:39 pm
nvspuds wrote:

hmmmmm....
True, but his dad or other representative could be talking to Odom. I don't know how legal that is, but it happens all the time.
Not legal at all BUT you're right it does happen.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Well, if it’s true that Jones has filled out the paperwork, we’ll know about it tonight or tomorrow when VC reports it on the Twitter.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 5:40 pm

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Great pickup..He is still got 4/5 years left..Freshmen transfers are like gold.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 6th, 2021, 6:06 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 5:40 pm
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... chad-baker

Another Good pickup here for the Aztecs.
Fixed. They keep bringing in top talent.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic