Utes and BYU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Utes and BYU

Post by SLB » September 12th, 2021, 6:26 am

My takeaway about the other teams in Utah.
Utah look like that they may very well have their worst season that they have had in a long time. It is possible that they are a 1-win team this year.
BYU's first true road game is against us. :wtf:
Keep in mind, San Diego State and BYU both played Arizona. San Diego State won by a margin of 24 and were up 35-7 at the half while BYU won by a margin of 8.
Last edited by SLB on September 12th, 2021, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

swordsman1989

Re: Utes

Post by swordsman1989 » September 12th, 2021, 7:07 am

I only watched the last few minutes of the first half, and based on the coaching decisions I saw there, I would agree with you.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
SLB

SLB

Re: Utes

Post by SLB » September 12th, 2021, 7:14 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 7:07 am
I only watched the last few minutes of the first half, and based on the coaching decisions I saw there, I would agree with you.
The numbers don't lie. San Diego State is the next opponent for Utah. It is great for the MWC and ugly for Utah. Utes looked really bad in those BYU-Utah game highlights.

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Utes and BYU

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 12th, 2021, 8:20 am

It’s a good thing Utah big-timed Utah State so they could schedule H-H deals with half the mountain west.

I will never hope BYU wins, but I definitely wanted Utah to lose last night.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 10):
SLBProvoAggieBLUERUFiOaggieguy13TurtleCastIronAggieBustaMcNuttNowhereLandAggie3rdGenAggiejpswensen

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » September 12th, 2021, 8:25 am

BYU o line is probably the best we will face all year. They played really well against a very good Ute defense. Gave up 0 sacks and rushed for 230 yards. Hall also is a home run threat with his feet. That’s gonna be a really tough test for our defense.

On the flip side the Utes had a 7.7 ypc. Hopefully we can figure out a way to be successful against their d.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionBLUERUFiO

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » September 12th, 2021, 8:40 am

Utahs defense line didn't even attempt to get penetration. They would get a good push and then stop and just read Hall. Seemed to me that the dline didn't trust their backers if they flushed him out.

Based on this game I would say we have a better dline then utah. Which is very surprising. bYU defense doesn't scare me at all. I think the strongest aspect is BYU passing game.

Unless our defense of backfield improves this will be a close game. I still think we win. But if we figure out our backend then both bYU and BSU are going to lose in the Maverick

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bybs25 for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0BLUERUFiO3rdGenAggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » September 12th, 2021, 9:08 am

Bybs25 wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 8:40 am
Utahs defense line didn't even attempt to get penetration. They would get a good push and then stop and just read Hall. Seemed to me that the dline didn't trust their backers if they flushed him out.

Based on this game I would say we have a better dline then utah. Which is very surprising. bYU defense doesn't scare me at all. I think the strongest aspect is BYU passing game.

Unless our defense of backfield improves this will be a close game. I still think we win. But if we figure out our backend then both bYU and BSU are going to lose in the Maverick

I love your optimism but I don’t think there’s any chance our Dline is better than Utah’s. Just my opinion after a couple weeks of football.

I also don’t think there’s a snowball chance to beat either Boise or Byu. I hope I’m wrong but I’m just being realistic.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0gomretat

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 12th, 2021, 9:12 am

Elkaggie wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 9:08 am

I also don’t think there’s a snowball chance to beat either Boise or Byu. I hope I’m wrong but I’m just being realistic.
There's a chance but we'll need the turnovers in our favor and good special teams play.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 12th, 2021, 9:13 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 9:12 am
Elkaggie wrote:

There's a chance but we'll need the turnovers in our favor and good special teams play.
And execution in the red zone.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
akaggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 12th, 2021, 9:22 am

Elkaggie wrote:
Bybs25 wrote:

I love your optimism but I don’t think there’s any chance our Dline is better than Utah’s. Just my opinion after a couple weeks of football.

I can’t speak to Utah’s D-line, but ours has been pretty solid. And the linebacker play with rice and co. has been amazing. I’ve been pretty impressed with our front 7. We’ve had some coverage issues, but they tightened up after the first quarter on Friday.

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » September 12th, 2021, 9:23 am

Elkaggie wrote:
Bybs25 wrote:

Well I can argue that. The better dline is one that puts pressure on quarterbacks. Maybe they are better on paper but they showed a lack luster effort last night. The good thing we have going for us is we have 4 starting DE with amazing speed that can contain QB. Once again us beating them will come down to our secondary. Getting Bond back will be great but can our corners come up on shorter passes and actually challenge the pass and not just let them catch it and make the tackle. That is what will decide how well BYU can move the ball and score points on us.

In regards to Boise. I've watched their games. Here is where the matchup will be. I believe our offense is better than their defense and will be able to score points. Like stated above it will come down to our secondary. Unlike BYU that has a couple of threats on their WR. BSU has one in shakil. Will we probably play a man cov and safety over the top of him. Yep he is that good. Outside of him BSU doesn't have any above the top threats. So it will come down to our secondary plays.

These users thanked the author Bybs25 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » September 12th, 2021, 9:42 am

I do like our chances against BYU. We just need to put pressure on Hall and contain him. We do need to call on all Aggie fans to buy tickets so this does not turn in to another home game for the Y. Start recruiting.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 12th, 2021, 10:12 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Bonner needs to stop starring down his receivers!

sneed

Post by sneed » September 12th, 2021, 11:09 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Truth.

Utah has looked pretty bad both games and they still could run on BYU. Utah is a 5 win team this year. BYU is 7 or 8. I’m thinking BYU and Boise will be favored by 4 or 5 against us.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » September 12th, 2021, 1:51 pm

sneed wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 11:09 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Truth.

Utah has looked pretty bad both games and they still could run on BYU. Utah is a 5 win team this year. BYU is 7 or 8. I’m thinking BYU and Boise will be favored by 4 or 5 against us.
If Airforce is favored by 11 there is no way BYU and Boise will be favored by less. Unfortunately I think we lose both of those games by big margins. BYU’s offense looked pretty good and I’m not so sure we will be able to move the ball that well against Boise.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » September 12th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Slim80 wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 1:51 pm
sneed wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Truth.

If Airforce is favored by 11 there is no way BYU and Boise will be favored by less. Unfortunately I think we lose both of those games by big margins. BYU’s offense looked pretty good and I’m not so sure we will be able to move the ball that well against Boise.
YBU offense has looked average at best. They are currently ranked 81st in total offense. Arizona is horrible, SDSU rolled 458 yards on them. YBU 368. Going off of two games, I really like the Aggies chances vs the Cougies. Let’s pack the Mav and give’em hell.
:utah: :state:

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 12th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Yes, I think some of you are over reacting to BYU's win.

I think Utah is dreadful this year, but we'll see how that plays out.

For the first time in my lifetime, USU has won the line of scrimmage in our first 2 games.
Let's see what happens against the cadets.

I would wager money that we'll end up beating either BYU or Boise when it is all said and done.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
FL350Aggie

gomretat

Post by gomretat » September 12th, 2021, 3:08 pm

My take - we have not played a team yet that is as good as Utah, BYU, AFA or Boise so it is hard to judge how good we are. Very glad we are 2-0 but over the next 3 weeks the schedule gets real.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
Slim80

sneed

Post by sneed » September 12th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Slim80 wrote:
sneed wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Truth.

It’s moved to 9.5 which is still dumb (ESPN power index even has us winning) but we will be better guessers when the BYU and Boise games are played so the spread will be closer. 2-0 ATS but it doesn’t look like anyone is buying the Aggies being good yet…

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 12th, 2021, 5:14 pm

BYU has really solid line play on both sides of the ball. The Aggies will need to have a spy on Hall to watch his scrambling abilities, he gained several first downs by Utah getting so far up field on broken plays and then rolling to the out side. Not sure how good Utah is. This might be one of the Whit's worst teams in the last several years. Be interesting to see how they play against SDSU this week who completely manhandled UofA after a lackluster performance against NMSU. it was very evident that BYU was the more aggressive team. They flat out wanted it more than Utah. Things change so quickly from week to week. Stanford was horrendous on offense against K-State and then against USC they had a field day.

I do worry about our D-line with their O-line, but we shall see.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 12th, 2021, 6:06 pm

You guys are crazy. It’s idiotic to think Utah may only win 1 game this year.

BYU is also really really good & will be easily the best team we play this year.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiElkaggiesam tingeygomretat

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 12th, 2021, 6:11 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 6:06 pm

BYU is also really really good & will be easily the best team we play this year.
Ehhh… I want to see more of Boise and BYU before giving BYU the nod.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » September 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Fresno will be the best team we play this year when we get them in the MWCG
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 7):
Roy McAvoycdaAgnewtonianbluesam tingeyAggieFBObsessionFullJSHarvey

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 12th, 2021, 6:26 pm

gomretat wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 3:08 pm
My take - we have not played a team yet that is as good as Utah, BYU, AFA or Boise so it is hard to judge how good we are. Very glad we are 2-0 but over the next 3 weeks the schedule gets real.
I think both teams we’ve played so far are better than AFA. But I accept and agree with your point on the others.

Let’s see how this ages…

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 12th, 2021, 6:28 pm

Does BYU have an incredible pass protection or is Utah that bad at pass rushing? Certainly Hall has wheels but the Ute dline couldn’t break free from BYUs pass rush.

I think there is some elements of both. Not only is Utah probably not as good as you’d expect, BYU has some big bubbas up front that were able to stay engaged with their men.

Allgeier looked excellent running inside. He was not so great on the outside. The Nacuas and Romney certainly have talent too.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 12th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Yeah I hate to say it, but byu was impressive in the trenches last night. Utah's supposedly great D-line barely provided any penetration all night. They are probably a 9-3,10-2 type team this year.

As for Utah, they are overrated and won't be a real contender in the Pac 12, but yeah it is silly to say they will only win one game.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
Slim80gomretat

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 12th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 6:29 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Yeah I hate to say it, but byu was impressive in the trenches last night. Utah's supposedly great D-line barely provided any penetration all night. They are probably a 9-3,10-2 type team this year.

As for Utah, they are overrated and won't be a real contender in the Pac 12, but yeah it is silly to say they will only win one game.
And I hate to say it but their receivers along with their te’s are pretty talented. The nacua brothers were big additions for them.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 13th, 2021, 12:04 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 10:12 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

I disagree that he is

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 13th, 2021, 1:20 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 12:04 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 10:12 am

I disagree that he is
@GeoAg I've seen it several times also, particularly with Thompkins. That may have worked in the first couple of games but defenses will be ready in the future and pick up on it, especially the better, more experienced defenses in the MWC.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 13th, 2021, 6:10 am

Elkaggie wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 8:25 am
BYU o line is probably the best we will face all year. They played really well against a very good Ute defense. Gave up 0 sacks and rushed for 230 yards. Hall also is a home run threat with his feet. That’s gonna be a really tough test for our defense.

On the flip side the Utes had a 7.7 ypc. Hopefully we can figure out a way to be successful against their d.
And features two guys that were once Aggies.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 13th, 2021, 6:11 am

slcagg wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 8:01 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

And I hate to say it but their receivers along with their te’s are pretty talented. The nacua brothers were big additions for them.
Thank their Dad and his love of byu football.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 13th, 2021, 7:32 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 6:10 am
Elkaggie wrote:

They have several former commits and players playing quite a bit. Can’t wait to have them match up Robinson against our slots
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 13th, 2021, 8:40 am

slcagg wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 7:32 am
aggies22 wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 6:10 am
Elkaggie wrote:

They have several former commits and players playing quite a bit. Can’t wait to have them match up Robinson against our slots
I have made no secret about my desire to have Deven Thompkins thrown to at least 20 times in that game with the Robinson/Christensen matchup.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

gomretat

Post by gomretat » September 13th, 2021, 8:51 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Agreed. The Cougs are looking good which is very painful and the Utes will still go bowling.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 13th, 2021, 11:39 am

The best part about this game was the absolute silence about it from a national stand point. Not having it played on an isolated night and having the big ranked match ups really helped make this game disappear. Unless you live in Utah, no one was talking before or since about this game at all.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionJSHarvey

Locked Previous topicNext topic