SDSU gives notice

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: SDSU gives notice

Post by aggies22 » July 8th, 2023, 9:02 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 2:14 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
July 5th, 2023, 5:47 pm
SDSU was trying to be cute with the way it worded the initial “notice” in an effort to keep its options open if a PAC-12 invite came. The MW and its lawyers then played this correctly and made SDSU pick a position and lock into it.

That’s all that happened here. Of course the MW will take SDSU back, but now if the invite comes and SDSU wants to leave before next season it’s now locked in that it owes the conference $34 million dollars for the privilege of doing so. Because the MW made SDSU pick a position, SDSU cannot now go back and claim the June “notice” was an actual notice if subsequent events (i.e., a PAC-12 invite) made it desirable for SDSU to do so.

Good lawyering by MW lawyers, bad lawyering by SDSU’s lawyers. That’s all there is to see here. Watch for SDSU to be brought back into full fellowship at the mid-July meeting now that SDSU has made clear publicly that it wasn’t providing notice.
Gloria Nevarez does have a JD from UC Berkeley with an emphasis in sport law. She is not dumb and I'm glad she was in charge for this and not Hair.
Gloria Nevarez has the balls that Craig Thompson didn't have.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 8th, 2023, 10:50 pm

These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
swordsman1989

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » July 10th, 2023, 10:19 am

Doesn’t UCLA have to pay Cal money for leaving them behind in the PAC? I think they have to pay them a portion of their profits every year too. Fresno state and San Jose state are probably cheering SDSU on because they’ve already seen the recipe that they need to follow to get some of SDSUs money.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » July 10th, 2023, 10:19 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 8th, 2023, 9:02 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 2:14 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
July 5th, 2023, 5:47 pm
SDSU was trying to be cute with the way it worded the initial “notice” in an effort to keep its options open if a PAC-12 invite came. The MW and its lawyers then played this correctly and made SDSU pick a position and lock into it.

That’s all that happened here. Of course the MW will take SDSU back, but now if the invite comes and SDSU wants to leave before next season it’s now locked in that it owes the conference $34 million dollars for the privilege of doing so. Because the MW made SDSU pick a position, SDSU cannot now go back and claim the June “notice” was an actual notice if subsequent events (i.e., a PAC-12 invite) made it desirable for SDSU to do so.

Good lawyering by MW lawyers, bad lawyering by SDSU’s lawyers. That’s all there is to see here. Watch for SDSU to be brought back into full fellowship at the mid-July meeting now that SDSU has made clear publicly that it wasn’t providing notice.
Gloria Nevarez does have a JD from UC Berkeley with an emphasis in sport law. She is not dumb and I'm glad she was in charge for this and not Hair.
Gloria Nevarez has the balls that Craig Thompson didn't have.
I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself throughout this whole thing "man am I glad Craig Thompson isn't the one calling the shots".
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
aggies22Coloraggie

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 10th, 2023, 12:22 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 10:19 am
Doesn’t UCLA have to pay Cal money for leaving them behind in the PAC? I think they have to pay them a portion of their profits every year too. Fresno state and San Jose state are probably cheering SDSU on because they’ve already seen the recipe that they need to follow to get some of SDSUs money.
Honestly, Cal should just drop athletics. They suck. Their athletic department chronically runs in the red. They have no alumni, student, or faculty support. If the PAC does get raided by the Big-12 and Big-10, and Cal ends up with no seat when the music stops playing, I really think they should give up sports, at least at the D-1 FBS level. Maybe they could drop to FCS with UC Davis. I honestly don't think the MWC should even take them. They'd be like SJSU with better academics.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » July 10th, 2023, 2:31 pm

I really don't care much how SDSU ends up. It seems they are feeling pretty big in their britches.

How is the board all thinking this all ends up?

IMHO, Utah State has been a pretty decent contributing member of the MWC with championships in the revenue sports since we joined the league.

Additionally, multiple positive developments at Utah State, really have rounded out our institutional profile academically and financially.

I stilll have trouble imagining that a mainly juco like bsu might be pushed ahead of us or that we might be left behind and in a terrible lurch, but this is D1 College Athletics, so I never really count on anything.

How do you all see USU's conference situation playing out in the near term?

What about the rest of the MWC?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 10th, 2023, 4:07 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 2:31 pm
I really don't care much how SDSU ends up. It seems they are feeling pretty big in their britches.

IMHO, Utah State has been a pretty decent contributing member of the MWC with championships in the revenue sports since we joined the league.

Additionally, multiple positive developments at Utah State, really have rounded out our institutional profile academically and financially.

I stilll have trouble imagining that a mainly juco like bsu might be pushed ahead of us or that we might be left behind and in a terrible lurch, but this is D1 College Athletics, so I never really count on anything.

Depends 100% on what happens to the PAC. If they can hold tight, we're good. If they fall apart, watch out it could be a wild ride for both conferences. I'm confident we're tied to them not matter what, so long as we don't get forced to join some CUSA/MWC merger we're good.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » July 10th, 2023, 4:15 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 2:31 pm

I don't know where SDSU plays in the immediate future. Maybe they are in the MWC, maybe they are in the Pac-12.

But I do think that 3 or 5 years from now, whenever the dust settles on this round of conference realignment, Utah State and San Diego State will end up in the same conference, which is a "best of the rest" type conference one tier down from the power conference.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » July 10th, 2023, 5:14 pm

@Shoresy when are you going to grace us with a profile thumbnail?

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » July 10th, 2023, 7:19 pm

If the PAC loses a few more schools, but not Utah, then the Aggies are screwed. We want Utah out of the PAC! There is a good chance the PAC could lose 4 to 5 schools and leave Utah behind.

For this reason we should push the MWC to backfill any time the MWC loses a member. The MWC could lose two thirds of its members to the PAC and USU would still not get in if Utah is there. Many on here do not want to replace SDSU if they leave. That is fine if we eventually get in the PAC, but if we don't then that is a big mistake. The more the MWC loses the harder it is to recruit decent new members. USU should fight to keep the MWC viable long term as long as we are members. That may mean inviting UTEP, NMSU, the Montana and Dakota schools. It will be hard to get most of those schools to a watered down MWC, but we should try. A conference with them is still far better than the Sun Belt and Big West were for USU.

SDSU is as good as gone. We should be trying to get a replacement now.

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » July 10th, 2023, 7:44 pm

If we add teams to the MWC I'd prefer SMU and Memphis instead of UTEP and NMSU.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 10th, 2023, 8:04 pm

USUaggie wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 7:19 pm
If the PAC loses a few more schools, but not Utah, then the Aggies are screwed. We want Utah out of the PAC! There is a good chance the PAC could lose 4 to 5 schools and leave Utah behind.

For this reason we should push the MWC to backfill any time the MWC loses a member. The MWC could lose two thirds of its members to the PAC and USU would still not get in if Utah is there. Many on here do not want to replace SDSU if they leave. That is fine if we eventually get in the PAC, but if we don't then that is a big mistake. The more the MWC loses the harder it is to recruit decent new members. USU should fight to keep the MWC viable long term as long as we are members. That may mean inviting UTEP, NMSU, the Montana and Dakota schools. It will be hard to get most of those schools to a watered down MWC, but we should try. A conference with them is still far better than the Sun Belt and Big West were for USU.

There is no one worth adding that would add value. Stand pat at 10.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
LKGates

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » July 10th, 2023, 10:04 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
USUaggie wrote:

For those that have a very good chance getting into the PAC that makes sense. Who cares if the conference dies after you leave.

Unlike most of the conference we have no chance if Utah is still there. Any and every school added to the conference now has huge huge value to those left behind. We have to move forward with contingencies in mind.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » July 10th, 2023, 10:35 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 5:14 pm

Ask and you shall receive
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
Naked Bull Rider

Full

Post by Full » July 10th, 2023, 10:49 pm

USUaggie wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 10:04 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
USUaggie wrote:

For those that have a very good chance getting into the PAC that makes sense. Who cares if the conference dies after you leave.

Unlike most of the conference we have no chance if Utah is still there. Any and every school added to the conference now has huge huge value to those left behind. We have to move forward with contingencies in mind.
It took me a while, but I’ve come around to this train of thought. If SDSU leaves invite three teams and take a little haircut if needed. From appearances the PAC will fold or take out the Mountain West, if not soon around the time the AAC contract expires. The Mountain West could in it’s current form draw teams into the conference, but that’s not true if the conference is picked over by the PAC. Would USU survive independence again? What kind of deal can Wyoming, San Jose, Nevada, Utah State, and New Mexico get to entice schools to join. Even if USU gets called up because Utah joined it’s little brother in the Big 12, I would still want the teams that didn’t make the cut to be a part of a western FBS conference.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 11th, 2023, 9:09 am

ustate98 wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 7:44 pm
If we add teams to the MWC I'd prefer SMU and Memphis instead of UTEP and NMSU.
Good luck with that. SMU is also rumored to be the replacement in the PAC12 for USC (SDSU is LA's replacement). Memphis is the B12 next expansion school of choice if they can't break off any of the PAC schools. Sans SDSU, we're not looking good to add any high profile schools to the conference. The only schools we could hope to add would be UTEP and La Tech. I don't think we could even get NMSU because of their buyout to CUSA would be hefty.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
LKGates

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » July 11th, 2023, 9:24 am

shoresy wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 10:35 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 5:14 pm

Ask and you shall receive

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » July 11th, 2023, 7:02 pm

LKGates wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 12:22 pm
EngineeringAggie wrote:
Honestly, Cal should just drop athletics. They suck. Their athletic department chronically runs in the red. They have no alumni, student, or faculty support. If the PAC does get raided by the Big-12 and Big-10, and Cal ends up with no seat when the music stops playing, I really think they should give up sports, at least at the D-1 FBS level. Maybe they could drop to FCS with UC Davis. I honestly don't think the MWC should even take them. They'd be like SJSU with better academics.
Are you serious? The MWC would benefit from taking any PAC team, CAL included. CAL would be the top academic school in the MWC.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post:
ViAggie

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 11th, 2023, 7:11 pm

travelingagg wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 7:02 pm
LKGates wrote:
EngineeringAggie wrote:
Are you serious? The MWC would benefit from taking any PAC team, CAL included. CAL would be the top academic school in the MWC.
Do academics really matter to college athletics programs anymore? Cal is certainly an elite academic institution but it hasnt seemed to have given their athletics much of a boost. Not disputing that the MW would take Cal, they would, but I don’t think it would be for academics.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 11th, 2023, 8:55 pm

Cal would quickly drop to the bottom of the MW in athletics, at least the revenue generating sports. They are already swimming in debt and would then get a huge cut in tv revenue.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
LKGates

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 11th, 2023, 11:21 pm

travelingagg wrote:
LKGates wrote:
EngineeringAggie wrote:
How exactly would the MWC benefit from taking Cal? They wouldn't generate more revenue. No one in the bay area cares about Cal athletics, not even the students and alumni. Has anyone ever seen that, for example, the Michigan vs Ohio State football game was on at the same time as Cal vs Wazzu, and thought "HEY! I really want to watch that PAC-12 pillow fight, with a great academic school that would lose to Idaho State!". They wouldn't be a high performing program that would increase the level of competition in the conference. Yeah, they're a great academic school. In the realm of college sports, that and $4.75 gets you a tall coffe frappuchino at Starbucks. Again, they would be SJSU with better academics. I'd rather take UTSA if we could get them.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 12th, 2023, 12:12 am

LKGates wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 11:21 pm
travelingagg wrote:
LKGates wrote:
EngineeringAggie wrote:
How exactly would the MWC benefit from taking Cal? They wouldn't generate more revenue. No one in the bay area cares about Cal athletics, not even the students and alumni. Has anyone ever seen that, for example, the Michigan vs Ohio State football game was on at the same time as Cal vs Wazzu, and thought "HEY! I really want to watch that PAC-12 pillow fight, with a great academic school that would lose to Idaho State!". They wouldn't be a high performing program that would increase the level of competition in the conference. Yeah, they're a great academic school. In the realm of college sports, that and $4.75 gets you a tall coffe frappuchino at Starbucks. Again, they would be SJSU with better academics. I'd rather take UTSA if we could get them.
Cal would immediately have the highest football attendance in the MWC, with a five year attendance average of over 41,000, easily eclipsing Boise State's five year average of 33,044, and over two and a half times greater than San Jose's five year average of 14,945. Cal has significantly higher presence and following in the Bay Area and would immediately add significant value to the MWC no matter which way you look at it.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
apo

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » July 12th, 2023, 7:48 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 12:12 am
LKGates wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 11:21 pm
Cal would immediately have the highest football attendance in the MWC, with a five year attendance average of over 41,000, easily eclipsing Boise State's five year average of 33,044, and over two and a half times greater than San Jose's five year average of 14,945. Cal has significantly higher presence and following in the Bay Area and would immediately add significant value to the MWC no matter which way you look at it.
I'm guessing Cal's attendance would fall off dramatically after you replaced USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington and Oregon on the regular schedule with SDSU, Nevada, UNLV and Boise (closest comparables - worse if you substitute USU, Wyoming, Air Force and New Mexico). I'm also guessing that a lot of those 41,000 in the Cal stands are visitors from other Pac-10 schools, which they would get much fewer of in the MWC.

They might indeed add some value, but Cal looking up from the bottom of the wealthy Pac-12 wouldn't be the same program as Cal looking down (its nose) at the MWC.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
LKGates

Nobody here knows anything.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 12th, 2023, 9:17 am

Has anyone here besides me ever been to Cal's stadium? Any and I mean ANY MWC school would DIE to have that stadium. You think USU has a good backdrop, Cal's stadium is literally on the edge of a redwood forest. It's big and beautiful. I'm jelly for sure.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 12th, 2023, 9:42 am

ViAggie wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 9:17 am
Has anyone here besides me ever been to Cal's stadium? Any and I mean ANY MWC school would DIE to have that stadium. You think USU has a good backdrop, Cal's stadium is literally on the edge of a redwood forest. It's big and beautiful. I'm jelly for sure.
It's an enviable backdrop. The amount of debt they went into to get said stadium renovated is not enviable.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/ne ... -jeopardy/
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
LKGates

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 12th, 2023, 10:01 am

ViAggie wrote:Has anyone here besides me ever been to Cal's stadium? Any and I mean ANY MWC school would DIE to have that stadium. You think USU has a good backdrop, Cal's stadium is literally on the edge of a redwood forest. It's big and beautiful. I'm jelly for sure.
I’ve been to it a couple times. (My mother in law taught there and lived just above the stadium)

It’s an awesome stadium. Can’t beat the views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
ViAggie

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » July 12th, 2023, 11:32 am

2004AG wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 10:01 am
ViAggie wrote:Has anyone here besides me ever been to Cal's stadium? Any and I mean ANY MWC school would DIE to have that stadium. You think USU has a good backdrop, Cal's stadium is literally on the edge of a redwood forest. It's big and beautiful. I'm jelly for sure.
I’ve been to it a couple times. (My mother in law taught there and lived just above the stadium)

It’s an awesome stadium. Can’t beat the views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So at least there is something worth seeing from the stadium, even if it isn't on the playing field.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
LKGates

Full

Post by Full » July 12th, 2023, 12:51 pm

What does everyone think is going to happen Monday?

My guess is the MW ran accepting the SDSU’s formal withdrawal letter by their lawyers before they sent their response. I’m not sure SDSU’s lawyer was any good based on the bumbling done in sending the letter. SDSU is out of the Mountain West and I don’t think the PAC is going to invite them. The PAC has their own problems and SDSU doesn’t solve the largest issues by decreasing the per team value.

That leaves the Aztecs with a lot of non-conference games to be scheduled and they need to get into the Big West fast. The Big West has them over a barrel, and the Aztecs think they are only in for a short time and will agree to anything to keep basketball. I think the MW was aware the letter was coming and SDSU was warned they wouldn’t be allowed back in if things fell apart again. They will end up paying an exit fee to play in the Big West and as an independent in football for the next few years. Independence won’t be kind to the Aztecs.

I also predict the Aztecs will fight to claim they didn’t actually leave.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 12th, 2023, 1:00 pm

Full wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 12:51 pm

My guess is the MW ran accepting the SDSU’s formal withdrawal letter by their lawyers before they sent their response. I’m not sure SDSU’s lawyer was any good based on the bumbling done in sending the letter. SDSU is out of the Mountain West and I don’t think the PAC is going to invite them. The PAC has their own problems and SDSU doesn’t solve the largest issues by decreasing the per team value.

That leaves the Aztecs with a lot of non-conference games to be scheduled and they need to get into the Big West fast. The Big West has them over a barrel, and the Aztecs think they are only in for a short time and will agree to anything to keep basketball. I think the MW was aware the letter was coming and SDSU was warned they wouldn’t be allowed back in if things fell apart again. They will end up paying an exit fee to play in the Big West and as an independent in football for the next few years. Independence won’t be kind to the Aztecs.

:lol: That would be hilarious.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 12th, 2023, 1:01 pm

Full wrote:

If they don't leave for the PAC or Big 12 they will be in the MWC. No way the 2 sides don't reach an agreement. I love how firm the new commissioner has been but if they don't get an invite I would put money on them staying in the MWC.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » July 12th, 2023, 1:23 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:01 pm
Full wrote:

If they don't leave for the PAC or Big 12 they will be in the MWC. No way the 2 sides don't reach an agreement. I love how firm the new commissioner has been but if they don't get an invite I would put money on them staying in the MWC.
It would be ridiculously stupid to not keep them if they want to stay.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » July 12th, 2023, 1:29 pm

Gloria seems like a bit of a badass and a pit bull.

I am guessing the MWC makes them sweat a bit then, seeing as though they have no secure offer, makes them sign an agreement committing to stay for at least 5 years or immediately fork over the full $34 Million.

At least I hope so.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post:
LKGates

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » July 12th, 2023, 2:23 pm

Full wrote:

byu-provo just left the WCC, I'm sure they would be happy to add sdsu in everything except football, and the asstecs play the independent game for a few season until they get a call. Either way, I think they stick to the MWC

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 12th, 2023, 2:39 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 2:23 pm
Full wrote:

byu-provo just left the WCC, I'm sure they would be happy to add sdsu in everything except football, and the asstecs play the independent game for a few season until they get a call. Either way, I think they stick to the MWC
WCC is a private school only conference, I doubt they would be willing to break with that tradition. If we play hardball with SDSU, look for them to join the Big West and then go Indy in FB with a scheduling alliance with current PAC 12 schools. BW would welcome them even if it was only for a season. Their real problem is that they have no idea what's going on with the PAC12 just like the rest of us.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 12th, 2023, 3:34 pm

gomretat wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:23 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:01 pm
Full wrote:

It would be ridiculously stupid to not keep them if they want to stay.
I actually agree. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean the conference should just act like nothing happened. Trying to build good will with SDSU is pointless. Even if we treat them like little princes, they're going to leave as soon as they can, so why bother. Let them stay, but extract some concessions that benefit the conference. I like the idea of making them sign an agreement that commits them to another 5 years in the conference, with a $34 million buy out if they leave at any time during those 5 years, as RogerAndersen suggested.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
AggiecpaJSHarveyViAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic