Defense is Simply Awful

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMac

Defense is Simply Awful

Post by AgMac » October 13th, 2023, 9:45 pm

I hate that we have to try and win every game in a shootout. Cauthen was a bad hire.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 3):
SaintAggieutahcountyaggieAggieFBObsession

MalAgua

Re: Defense is Simply Awful

Post by MalAgua » October 13th, 2023, 9:46 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 9:45 pm
I hate that we have to try and win every game in a shootout. Cauthen was a bad hire.
But he can teach our players how to succeed AFTER football…just not DURING football

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » October 13th, 2023, 9:52 pm

Got gashed on the QB keeper up the middle a few times.

A few plays went too long cause we were going for hits and not tackles.

Fresno caught our zone a few times with a ball up the seam.

I feel we maintained the edge better this game than previous.

Fresno was really prepared for our tunnel screen.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
SLB

Not sent from Tapatalk

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 13th, 2023, 9:54 pm

The defense is bad but I don't think it is his fault. We lost a lot of talent and are young. We had an unacceptable two deep from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 13th, 2023, 9:58 pm

I don’t think Cauthen is the problem. Young and undersized but hopefully we can hold onto our returning players and get a few key transfers at DE and LB.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 13th, 2023, 9:59 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 9:54 pm
The defense is bad but I don't think it is his fault. We lost a lot of talent and are young. We had an unacceptable two deep from day one.

Same goes for offense, but they're figuring it out. Also, we have some absolute playmakers on defense. Cauthen deserves the lion's share of the blame. He is not a good coordinator.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 13th, 2023, 10:12 pm

The loss of Banda hurt a lot more than we realized. Cauthen is not cutting it.

Let's recap the offense production
@ Iowa 14 pts
IDSU 78 pts
@ AFA 21
JMU 38
@ Uconn 34
CSU 44
Fresno 32

If you have a team with a solid defense and play better at home than on the road, you look at our offensive production and we should have won the following games, IDSU, JMU, UConn, CSU, and Fresno. We would have 5 wins already. The defensive coaching is FCS level. Let's call a spade a spade.

We will be lucky to escape with 6 wins. The offense has the production we need to win 80% of the time.

This is why you really need a complete team on both sides of the ball, and if I were AD I would be lining up better DC candidates for this program. That side of the ball is not MWC-level defense plain and simple. No excuses for the portal. If you have MW-level defense coaching you can handle coaching up players who can play FBS level. I don't see this as a personnel issue, as this is pis poor coaching defensively.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 13th, 2023, 10:14 pm

The second biggest issue I see is the Oline, .. they need to give the Qb's 2-3 more seconds consistently on pass rush. I am pleased with the blocking scheme for runs

AGGIEinIOWA

Defense is Simply Awful

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 13th, 2023, 10:20 pm

We put up nearly 600 yards of offense on one of the top defenses in the conference. Fresno has a very capable offense as well, and we did about as well as the two P5 teams they beat. Our up tempo offense does result in our defense being on the field for a lot more snaps than is typical, which skews the stats and points given up by a bit.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 13th, 2023, 10:23 pm

We were awful on third down.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
trevordudeUSU78sam tingey

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 13th, 2023, 10:25 pm

Tons of turnovers have painted over the cracks, but I don’t think the cracks are on Cauthen.
Next year we will know more.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 13th, 2023, 10:54 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 10:20 pm
We put up nearly 600 yards of offense on one of the top defenses in the conference. Fresno has a very capable offense as well, and we did about as well as the two P5 teams they beat. Our up tempo offense does result in our defense being on the field for a lot more snaps than is typical, which skews the stats and points given up by a bit.
I don't know that I agree with this sediment, This is just making excuses as to why the defense can't execute a game plan. Around here the game plan is mediocre. Go and watch the numerous missed tackles and poor positioning. I see too much reactionary defense instead of disruption defense. Yes, we have been spoiled by defenses from the past decade-plus.

the biggest 2 points I sour on is poor tackling from the whole and lack of physicality from the snap, we just let the other team carve us up however they want, why? No one dares ask the staff the tough questions on the media interviews.

I see sometimes you have to allow coaches to implement their style and game plan. Other parts are basic fundamentals the defensive side of the ball is missing. Think for a moment of the defensive leaders the team has had, Wagner, fackrell, vigil brothers, and players like Jake Doughty, let's not forget Shaq Bond, Justin Rice and Hunter Reynolds. I don't think any of these players were THAT great *** out of high school whereas they were any better than the current players coming out of HS etc.

Biggest takeaway, We are missing mental and physical toughness to impose our will defensively onto the other team. I don't know maybe I'm way off base here .. this is what I see.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 13th, 2023, 11:03 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:The second biggest issue I see is the Oline, .. they need to give the Qb's 2-3 more seconds consistently on pass rush. I am pleased with the blocking scheme for runs
The line played a lot better tonight.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 13th, 2023, 11:12 pm

The offense and special teams has put the defense in bad positions a ton. We’ve been giving people a lot of short fields.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » October 13th, 2023, 11:15 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 11:12 pm
The offense and special teams has put the defense in bad positions a ton. We’ve been giving people a lot of short fields.
Why can’t we consistently put the ball in the end zone on kickoffs?! Fresno took advantage of that several times tonight. Punt coverage got gashed a few times as well.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
vegasaggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 13th, 2023, 11:33 pm

AgMac, you need to figure out an avatar to create implying to fire Cauthen, like the one you created with Wells. Maybe that would do the trick like it did with Wells. And even if not, when Cauthen goes somewhere else, maybe you can follow the quarterback that makes your avatar in demand with fans of that time like the case with Bailey Zappe.
At least one thing you can look forward to is seeing if the Patriots finally and permanently bench Mac Jones for Zappe, the quarterback who is best known, at least by me and should also be by you, making your infamous avatar in demand with the Texas Tech fans.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 13th, 2023, 11:40 pm

Defense is not great, but Fresno has a really good offense. Big issue on offense was that QB keeper up the middle and not getting off the field on 3rd and longs. We are also really young on the defensive side of the ball.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 14th, 2023, 12:36 am

AgMac wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 9:45 pm
We are undersized/(Not eough depth) at DT, DE, LB, unfortunately. At safety we're fine, but that's about the only position on D wherenwe're fine.

But it's a good observation. We have issues on our defense because of lack of depth and even size at DT.

The offense can always improve, especially along the OL, but it's good enough to win. The defense right now will be lucky to get us to a bowl.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » October 14th, 2023, 12:52 am

Our defense 100% kept us in the CSU game. I feel like they play better than the stats suggest our pace and short drives don’t help that either. Has the defense been bad this year yes but when you look at the amount of starters lost in the portal I think it’s hasn’t been terrible. Also unrelated but I think Blake is a great OC.
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post:
vegasaggie

gomretat

Post by gomretat » October 14th, 2023, 6:55 am

Blaming Cauthen for this years defense makes no sense at all. The mass exodus of players and patchwork job of putting things together had to be a coaches nightmare. Getting beat is never a good thing but we gave a very solid team a great game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 14th, 2023, 8:07 am

aggieborn wrote:
October 14th, 2023, 12:52 am
Our defense 100% kept us in the CSU game. I feel like they play better than the stats suggest our pace and short drives don’t help that either. Has the defense been bad this year yes but when you look at the amount of starters lost in the portal I think it’s hasn’t been terrible. Also unrelated but I think Blake is a great OC.
Agreed against CSU they played lights out especially given how CSU was playing on offense. They did not play great last night but well enough to allow us to have a chance to win. In the 3rd quarter the offense went inside the Fresno 30 yard line 3 times and we got 3 points out of it, that is where the game was lost last night.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
USU78aggieborn

Locked Previous topicNext topic