Sprinkle's (possible) replacements

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GordoAggie

Re: Sprinkle's (possible) replacements

Post by GordoAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:50 am

rAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 1:37 am
The "I'd rather Bovee make the hire than Sabau" stuff here is comical.

Under Bovee's watch, we hired a coaching staff and gave them five nights in a hotel and a good luck. Now we have an actual professional athletics director in place who is turning this into a modern D1 program that will treat people properly and not be amateur hour.

I don't know where it is on the list of challenges that this outgoing coaching staff had with USU, but things got off to a rocky start when proper temporary housing wasn't provided to the coaches.
Right?
Bovee will be out of the AD sometime between now and July 1.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 25th, 2024, 7:16 am

Love the stories of our AD being a total (I can't express myself without swearing) show behind closed doors :shock:

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 25th, 2024, 7:52 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:16 am
Love the stories of our AD being a total (I can't express myself without swearing) show behind closed doors :shock:
Oh if you only knew

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 25th, 2024, 7:54 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:52 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Oh if you only knew
Wish I did. These sorts of inner working details that the average fan misses out on are critical to informing opinions and providing context.

It sure seems like Jerry Bovee is a very different person publicly and privately, but that’s also all based on rumors and innuendo.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 25th, 2024, 8:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:54 am
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:52 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Oh if you only knew
Wish I did. These sorts of inner working details that the average fan misses out on are critical to informing opinions and providing context.

It sure seems like Jerry Bovee is a very different person publicly and privately, but that’s also all based on rumors and innuendo.
It’s not even isolated to Jerry. It wasn’t even all his fault. The tail end of the Hartwell years were a mess. And it just got worse towards the end. Then got worse when Jerry was interim’d. I don’t even think it specifically was Hartwell’s fault either, him Job shopping for years and not being shy about it didn’t help at all. But it wasn’t directly his fault.

The entire school had a very bad culture at the top and was a complete (I can't express myself without swearing) show.

It’s why I have no beef with Diana coming in, cleaning house and rebuilding this stuff back up.

The success on the court/field was a good cover for the mess behind the scenes lol
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
FloridaAggie13

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 25th, 2024, 8:28 am

How come we always have rumors of where our previous head coach is heading to and never any rumors about who our next head coach is going to be? Nothing about “this head coach is the top target for USU” or “coach so and so is a finalist for consideration”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 25th, 2024, 8:31 am

Josh Schertz should absolutely be our #1 target with DeVries off the board. I know he was rumored to have landed the Saint Louis job but hasn’t been finalized yet. I wonder if he has expressed interest in other jobs? Wishful thinking I know

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 25th, 2024, 8:32 am

scotlandog wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:28 am
How come we always have rumors of where our previous head coach is heading to and never any rumors about who our next head coach is going to be? Nothing about “this head coach is the top target for USU” or “coach so and so is a finalist for consideration”

Here’s my theory, all this “I heard from a friend close to the the program that such and such is leaving” is all (I can't express myself without swearing). Programs probably try to keep this thing under as tight as wraps as possible and the reason we never hear anyone say “USU is going after such and such for their head coach” is because no one is hearing anything if they aren’t involved in the hiring process.

ghsaggie

Post by ghsaggie » March 25th, 2024, 8:38 am

If he leaves, my top two replacements are Nate Dixon and Andy Hill. In that order.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » March 25th, 2024, 8:41 am

ghsaggie wrote:If he leaves, my top two replacements are Nate Dixon and Andy Hill. In that order.
What has Nate Dixon been up to this past year? Is he still in Logan?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

ghsaggie

Post by ghsaggie » March 25th, 2024, 8:44 am

elcheque2 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:41 am
ghsaggie wrote:If he leaves, my top two replacements are Nate Dixon and Andy Hill. In that order.

A quick Twitter glance looks like he's still here in town.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 25th, 2024, 8:49 am

ghsaggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:38 am
If he leaves, my top two replacements are Nate Dixon and Andy Hill. In that order.
As I've said before, I'm hesitant to hire an assistant coach for our program, especially at this juncture, considering the current upward trajectory. IMO, there's a heightened risk associated with hiring an assistant. I still have PTSD from the Duryea years and although Duryea proved to be an exceptional assistant, his transition to head coach didn't work out well.

Additionally, I believe that an experienced head coach presents a better opportunity for attracting impact players. Should we opt for an assistant like Hill or Dixon, I'm uncertain of their capacity to both retain our top talent (exception may be Falslev and Johnson) and quickly recruit impact players. While Hill/Dixon may have potential, I'm reluctant to gamble on them, particularly when reflecting on the state of our program over the past six years.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 25th, 2024, 8:59 am

ghsaggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:44 am
elcheque2 wrote:

Gotta love that he stayed in Logan, I’d go for him. So tired of the turnover. The whole just higher another assassin staff is something I’m not on board with. The players at the end of the bench deserve a better player experience than being thrown out like a dirty pair of socks. What an ugly player experience. You bust your butt to move up then your whole effort is thrown to the wind and you’re playing for Flat Plains States packed crowd of 400 in a high school gym with only memories of the Hurd.

#hornsup!

ghsaggie

Post by ghsaggie » March 25th, 2024, 9:02 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:59 am
ghsaggie wrote:
elcheque2 wrote:

Gotta love that he stayed in Logan, I’d go for him. So tired of the turnover. The whole just higher another assassin staff is something I’m not on board with. The players at the end of the bench deserve a better player experience than being thrown out like a dirty pair of socks. What an ugly player experience. You bust your butt to move up then your whole effort is thrown to the wind and you’re playing for Flat Plains States packed crowd of 400 in a high school gym with only memories of the Hurd.
It's definitely a risk hiring an assistant, but I'd like to have a stable coach. I'm also just tired of the whole process of oh no, it's a new year we need a new coach.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 25th, 2024, 9:03 am

Our last 2 coaches had both been to the NCAA tournament with their previous schools when we hired them. I think many of you are shortchanging the type of candidates this job attracts. You don’t hire a coach for roster retention purposes. Period.
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieflying_scotsman2.0

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 25th, 2024, 9:04 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:49 am
ghsaggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:38 am
As I've said before, I'm hesitant to hire an assistant coach for our program, especially at this juncture, considering the current upward trajectory. IMO, there's a heightened risk associated with hiring an assistant. I still have PTSD from the Duryea years and although Duryea proved to be an exceptional assistant, his transition to head coach didn't work out well.

Additionally, I believe that an experienced head coach presents a better opportunity for attracting impact players. Should we opt for an assistant like Hill or Dixon, I'm uncertain of their capacity to both retain our top talent (exception may be Falslev and Johnson) and quickly recruit impact players. While Hill/Dixon may have potential, I'm reluctant to gamble on them, particularly when reflecting on the state of our program over the past six years.
Andy hill brought over Ian Martinez. He was an assistant.

If we’re going for assistants my Choices would be Hill or Burgess. But if another Assistant off some other staff was hired I’d be more than patient to wait and see. Assistants are often more plugged in with individual recruits than Head Coaches. They typically build the relationships firsts. Assistants can still bring guys in. It’s just not directly plug and play like Sprinkle/Brown/Osobor.

Personally I think an underrated aspect of our current roster is the current Assistant with the UK connections. If hiring Hill allows him a chance to stay here as well I’d be more than willing.

Sprinkle is seen as a good recruiter. (He is) but I don’t think we ever get Uduje, and Sprinkle doesn’t get Osobor to Montan State if it wasn’t for him.

I’d love to the keep the UK-> Utah State pipeline open
Last edited by Bullnamed_gus on March 25th, 2024, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
EngineeringAggie

LoveMyAggies

Sprinkle's (possible) replacements

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 25th, 2024, 9:05 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 12:26 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Drew

This guy is very much like Sprinkle, plus he made the tournament the last 2 years, won a game this year. And has already been pain $10M+ from Vandy for 3 years of work. I like the work he's done at GCU. I hope he ends up as a legit finalist.
Isn’t he already making 2+ mil a year?
I don’t have the particulars, a basic search yielded 300-400k/year

At this time no legit links not verifiable info. Either way, if we pay same amount or a bit more up to $2M/year. Better fan base, league and spectrum may be enough to tip the scales? Image
Last edited by LoveMyAggies on March 25th, 2024, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 25th, 2024, 9:13 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:05 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

This guy is very much like Sprinkle, plus he made the tournament the last 2 years, won a game this year. And has already been pain $10M+ from Vandy for 3 years of work. I like the work he's done at GCU. I hope he ends up as a legit finalist.
Guy I work with has a son on his team. Point guard said his son is trying to decide if he wants to stay or find a new school. Not sure but I might could get some inside info if needed.

#hornsup!

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 25th, 2024, 9:17 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:13 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

Guy I work with has a son on his team. Point guard said his son is trying to decide if he wants to stay or find a new school. Not sure but I might could get some inside info if needed.
Drew makes over 3 million a year already at GCU, they have way more money for coaches and NIL, IMO he is out of our league.
Last edited by JFWAggie on March 25th, 2024, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 25th, 2024, 9:17 am

Blue Sage wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

You should ask. Look around the successful teams and programs. Drew should be on a top 5 short list.

We just need to realize all of these guys are hungry for Tournament wins like we at Utah State are. They of course are going to take the $$ if it’s double triple the $$ we pay. It just is what it is.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 25th, 2024, 9:19 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:17 am
Blue Sage wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

You should ask. Look around the successful teams and programs. Drew should be on a top 5 short list.

We just need to realize all of these guys are hungry for Tournament wins like we at Utah State are. They of course are going to take the $$ if it’s double triple the $$ we pay. It just is what it is.
Let me tell you guys all you need to know about our finances vs. Grand Canyon's.

Grand Canyon chartered a flight themselves and flew over 200 students to their NCAA tournament game in Spokane.

We aren't getting Bryce Drew.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 25th, 2024, 9:20 am

Grand Canyon is a for profit diploma mill. They have the money.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 25th, 2024, 9:22 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:19 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

Let me tell you guys all you need to know about our finances vs. Grand Canyon's.

Grand Canyon chartered a flight themselves and flew over 200 students to their NCAA tournament game in Spokane.

They have recruiters who regularly fly students and high school staff to the university for free.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 25th, 2024, 9:39 am

ghsaggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:02 am
Blue Sage wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:59 am
ghsaggie wrote:
elcheque2 wrote:

It's definitely a risk hiring an assistant, but I'd like to have a stable coach. I'm also just tired of the whole process of oh no, it's a new year we need a new coach.
I think we all desire a coach who brings stability and success to our program, but how many mid-major programs manage to retain successful coaches over the long haul? If we're faced with a choice between the two, I'd prioritize a successful program over a stable coach. Since Stew left, we haven't had a stable coach, but our program has seen success over the past six years. Duryea would have provided stability, had we not let him go. It's a trend among mid-major programs that successful coaches often move on to better opportunities or are let go when the don't succeed. While examples like St. Mary's and BSU exist, it's arguable that Rice hasn't achieved enough success to warrant moving up, especially since 2015. We lucked out with Stew but how do we know that if we hired Dixon or Hill as a HC that either would stick around if they were to have the same type of success as Smith or Sprinkle or even Odom? Many people felt Sprinkle was going to stick around for the long haul then he exceeded expectations and now he's taking off for more money.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 25th, 2024, 9:44 am

A coach that will stay long term is a "nice to have" when hiring. A winning resume is a "must have" when hiring.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
PGaggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 25th, 2024, 9:47 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

As @StanfordAggie said: "Grand Canyon is basically a diploma mill that will give a degree to anyone who can write a check. As a result, they have basically unlimited amounts of money to spend on athletics."

Instead of resorting to increasing student fees, like a certain poster recommended, perhaps we should explore alternative avenues, such as transforming USU into a diploma mill, to ensure we have ample funds available for investing in athletics?
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
Bullnamed_gus

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 25th, 2024, 9:49 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:47 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

As @StanfordAggie said: "Grand Canyon is basically a diploma mill that will give a degree to anyone who can write a check. As a result, they have basically unlimited amounts of money to spend on athletics."

Instead of resorting to increasing student fees, like a certain poster recommended, perhaps we should explore alternative avenues, such as transforming USU into a diploma mill, to ensure we have ample funds available for investing in athletics?
Yeah that certain poster is an idiot!

On a serious note, I don’t know if we want to be seen as a diploma mill, but there probably are ways to increase enrollment across the state and surrounding areas.

Perhaps giving In-State tuition to
Anyone, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada and Arizona could be a good start. Maybe a discount to Out of State tuition for anyone in Montana, Oregon, Washington, etc.and that’s including adding “USU -Extension” Campuses in Idaho, Arizona, etc. (not even Sure if that’s possible but just spitballing here)
Last edited by Bullnamed_gus on March 25th, 2024, 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 25th, 2024, 9:49 am

Brian Dutcher was an assistant for decades.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Bullnamed_gus

cval

Post by cval » March 25th, 2024, 9:51 am

They all started as assistants 😀
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 25th, 2024, 9:51 am

Get Dixon on as an assistant for whoever is the head coach next, give him the head gig after they leave. worked for SDSU, why could it not work for us?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 25th, 2024, 9:51 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:49 am
Under a legendary head coach that he served as the associate for 18 years at a high-level bball program.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 25th, 2024, 9:54 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:51 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Under a legendary head coach that he assisted for a number of years.
Sounds like Tim Duryea.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Bullnamed_gus

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 25th, 2024, 9:57 am

One opportunity we missed out on, that I was suggesting at the time we do, but is too late now as Dayton took advantage of it, was hiring Anthony Grant.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36743&p=372537&hili ... nt#p372537

He probably would have done well, while not getting poached cause of his failure at Alabama, and maybe had our program in 2023 to a point where instead of San Diego State, it's us as the 5 seed upsetting 1 seed Alabama, and gotten the chance to tell Alabama to kiss his @$$.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 25th, 2024, 9:58 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:54 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:51 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Under a legendary head coach that he assisted for a number of years.
Sounds like Tim Duryea.
Yeah, I remember when Tim helped recruit the fab five and he and Stew made the Championship game.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
JFWAggieAggie in Boise

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 25th, 2024, 9:59 am

Russell Turner at UC Irvine would be at the top of my list, proven coach from the Mike Montgomery coaching tree (Same as Stew), his teams play smart and his bigs are always skilled, he has been there for 13 years

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic