New Core

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggieaz

New Core

Post by aggieaz » April 5th, 2024, 2:50 pm

To be honest, there were several times this season when I was watching the Aggies play and kept thinking Templin, Johnson and Mason would be great young core group to build a new team. Uduje would be looked on as the leader if he stayed, but I really like this group

With this core now in place, I think we definitely need a new point guard and power forward.

slcagg

Re: New Core

Post by slcagg » April 5th, 2024, 2:55 pm

Rytis would fit really well with this group
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
aggies22QuackAttackAggiehipsterdoofus21

SLB

Post by SLB » April 5th, 2024, 3:05 pm

aggieaz wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 2:50 pm
To be honest, there were several times this season when I was watching the Aggies play and kept thinking Templin, Johnson and Mason would be great young core group to build a new team. Uduje would be looked on as the leader if he stayed, but I really like this group

With this core now in place, I think we definitely need a new point guard and power forward.
Players like Johnson, Templin, and Falslev are the type of players that breakout in the next season.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 5th, 2024, 3:11 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 2:55 pm
While I agree he would fit in. I hope that we use our remaining spots to get some athletes. This past year's team was good and got over the NCAA tourney hump in large part because of their athleticism, which is something we hadn't had before. Guys like Brown and Martinez were key in our ability to create shots when we needed them while also not having to worry about ball handling. We can't have a roster full of hard working, plucky, sneaky athletic, high motor, high IQ, glue-type players.....well, you get the picture. We need some athletes!
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesMrBiggle

SLB

Post by SLB » April 5th, 2024, 3:14 pm

slcagg wrote:
I would be shocked if Rytis went somewhere outside of Oregon State.
Some NIL money plus his parents' school

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 5th, 2024, 3:15 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 3:11 pm
slcagg wrote:
While I agree he would fit in. I hope that we use our remaining spots to get some athletes. This past year's team was good and got over the NCAA tourney hump in large part because of their athleticism, which is something we hadn't had before. Guys like Brown and Martinez were key in our ability to create shots when we needed them while also not having to worry about ball handling. We can't have a roster full of hard working, plucky, sneaky athletic, high motor, high IQ, glue-type players.....well, you get the picture. We need some athletes!
Agreed. I think Burns fits that bill for sure. Then you need a true PG and a 2/combo guard who can handle backup PG duties. The rest depends on who else comes back obviously but we absolutely need 2 ball handlers first and foremost

AGGIEinIOWA

New Core

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 5th, 2024, 3:27 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Agreed. I think Burns fits that bill for sure. Then you need a true PG and a 2/combo guard who can handle backup PG duties. The rest depends on who else comes back obviously but we absolutely need 2 ball handlers first and foremost
This ^^^^. With both Brown and Ian gone….and Davon. Getting Burns would soften the blow of losing Great if he indeed leaves (hoping not).
Last edited by AGGIEinIOWA on April 5th, 2024, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 5th, 2024, 3:30 pm

Aglicious wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Yeah we need athletes to add to our current core. Mason is the only elite athlete we have back. Uduje will be one of he comes back. Phelps is too, but we need more. Great is very athletic for his size but I would say he’s more coordinated and quick than explosive
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 5th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Yeah we need athletes to add to our current core. Mason is the only elite athlete we have back. Uduje will be one of he comes back. Phelps is too, but we need more. Great is very athletic for his size but I would say he’s more coordinated and quick than explosive
Sakho is an athletic freak too that I’d like to see back but sounds like he may not stay.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
Bullnamed_gusmcaggie1

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 5th, 2024, 3:33 pm

This is also why I would love to have Max back. I wonder why he doesn’t want to stay.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 5th, 2024, 3:37 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 3:33 pm
This is also why I would love to have Max back. I wonder why he doesn’t want to stay.
If we had Max all year we’re probably a 5/6 seed, and make a Sweet 16. His length, defense, and rebounding completely changed our team.

Sure his shots didn’t fall but we didn’t need that. We just needed a guy that could go lock down the opponents best player and get key rebounds.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
Roy McAvoy

twentytwocactus

Post by twentytwocactus » April 5th, 2024, 3:46 pm

have we ever thought about coach calhoun maybe not dying to have max on the team next year?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 5th, 2024, 3:47 pm

twentytwocactus wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 3:46 pm
have we ever thought about coach calhoun maybe not dying to have max on the team next year?
No, but the dude makes winning plays without scoring a lot. He is a freakish athlete. I was super bummed when he went down.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want him on your team.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 2):
Bullnamed_gusjackattack

twentytwocactus

Post by twentytwocactus » April 5th, 2024, 3:50 pm

i only say this because I have heard that he isn't that great of a teammate. by all means i do agree with you. he is very athletic and his size and speed would've been great to have last year.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 5th, 2024, 3:54 pm

twentytwocactus wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 3:50 pm
i only say this because I have heard that he isn't that great of a teammate. by all means i do agree with you. he is very athletic and his size and speed would've been great to have last year.
You mean a returning wing who started as a freshman is a bit of a prima donna?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 5th, 2024, 4:39 pm

twentytwocactus wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 3:46 pm
I would still want him back but he pretty clearly wasn’t a great shooter. He also wasn’t healthy so I’d give him a pass for last seasons shooting woes at least

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 5th, 2024, 4:41 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 3:37 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 3:33 pm
If we had Max all year we’re probably a 5/6 seed, and make a Sweet 16. His length, defense, and rebounding completely changed our team.

Sure his shots didn’t fall but we didn’t need that. We just needed a guy that could go lock down the opponents best player and get key rebounds.
I have to agree with this. There were so many times it seemed to me that his length and athleticism on defense was a missing piece on last year’s team.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
SwaggieAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 5th, 2024, 4:45 pm

aggieaz wrote:

Decent but there's no alpha scorer. Wynot could (potentially) be that guy.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 5th, 2024, 4:46 pm

This is why I have high hopes for Burns if he comes. 6’7 wing/forward who can rebound with the best in the country and can shoot from outside, apparently a solid ball handler too. Not sure how good his defense is but the rest of it feels like exactly the type of player we are usually missing but had briefly with Max a bit, slightly different skill sets but lengthy athleticism

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 5th, 2024, 4:48 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 4:45 pm
aggieaz wrote:

Assume that’ll be the goal in the portal for Calhoun, 2 guards with 1 of them being a go to scorer. Wynott would be awesome to hang onto but it feels like there’s not a lot of hope there

Not to mention Great too :stirpot:

cval

Post by cval » April 5th, 2024, 4:52 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 4:45 pm
aggieaz wrote:

I suspect that a number of guys could become alpha scorers if they were not deferring to Osobor, Brown, Martinez, or others. As they often say in the NBA, there are only so many basketballs to go around on a team.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 5th, 2024, 5:23 pm

USU78 wrote:
twentytwocactus wrote:
I think he was referring to Max, not Mason
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
USU78cval

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 5th, 2024, 5:41 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 5:23 pm
USU78 wrote:
twentytwocactus wrote:
I think he was referring to Max, not Mason
Ah

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 5th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Uduje hit some pretty clutch shots for us this year.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
stewusu98slcagg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic