Rank the ncaa football stadiums youve been to

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Re: Rank the ncaa football stadiums youve been to

Post by treesap32 » May 14th, 2012, 9:32 am

1 - Jordan Hare Stadium (Incredible atmosphere and stadium)
2 - Romney Stadium (Beautiful surroundings, and well, it's the Aggies)
3 - Rose Bowl - Don't really remember it, I was too little.
4 - Lavell Edwards - Same as above. All I remember is a TON of concrete everywhere. Came in last because it's BYU.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » May 14th, 2012, 10:06 am

1. Kinnick Stadium (Iowa) - went to Syracuse game in 2007 after all the renovations. Very impressive, pre-game festivites and tailgating are best that ive seen. Still pretty cozy for a 70k stadium.

2. Romney - Love the Nez, the setting is unbeatable and I cherish every memory of this place but the stadium needs more capacity and a new press box to be higher.

what it needs to look like

3. Jack Trice Stadium (Iowa State) - Crappy teams for a long time but they still put 55k butts in the seats for every game. Have a very impressive North End Zone complex similar to ours.

4. Lavell Edwards Stadium (BYU) - High capacity, nice press box, and similar setting to Romney but the endzone seating sucks, most of the seats are way up in the corners.

5. Rice Eccles Stadium (Utah) - Still a very nice stadium, could use a bump in the seating department. Nice press box.

6. Sam Boyd Stadium (UNLV) - Not a fan of off campus stadiums. Good horseshoe design.

7. Bronco Stadium (Boise St.) - Bad design, track around the field is lame. Sight lines are bad and upper bowl way to disproportional to lower bowl. Awesome press box.

blues bro
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by blues bro » May 14th, 2012, 12:13 pm

I have been to alot of stadiums - Aggies fans are in for a real treat at Camp Randall - Madison is a scenic venue, great cllege campus, and the stadium with one of the roudiest student sections in the nation will surely make it memorable!!! So not in any specific order just what I took away from the experiences.

Oregon - Autzen - Pure college experience
Camp Randall - Wis -Large roudy and great fans
Memorial - Neb. - class fans
Jordan Hare - Auburn - respectful fans
Bryant Denny - Ala - Large Packed seats
Tiger - LSU - tail gate
Husky - UW - location
Stanford - architecture
Coliseum - USC - History
Notre Dame - excitement
bucket list for football fanatics- Michigan, Rose Bowl, Yale Bowl,
BB

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » May 14th, 2012, 2:52 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:Husky Stadium-UW
Red Raider-TTU
RES-Utah
USU
Bronco Stadium-BSU
ISU-Pocatello
Idaho
New Mexico Highlands Univ
NMSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isnt uw literally falling apart?

Posted from my Android
UW stadium wasn't falling apart when I was there in like '95 or close to it. I don't remember that too well. The environment of the stadium was rather magnificent. On Lake WA and all. It was a beautiful day. Great place to watch football.
ISU is a great place to watch football. Close to the field and all, however the environment of the stadium isn't great. Holds 13k. Not great, but for the pure spectatorship, it's a great place to watch football.

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » May 14th, 2012, 8:30 pm

No real order here:

Army – add this to your football bucket list, too.
The Vet in Philly – Army lost to Navy a long time ago.
BC – never a rainier game have I been to. Felt bad for my dad and his ineffective rain suit.
Michigan State, pre-2008ish renovation – So many traditions and such a great campus. Besides, where else should you be if you hate Michigan. The student bus and motor pool service used to be under the east stands!
Mississippi State – the new heated concourse on the east upper deck added much value to our $25.00 seats on a cold November day. and the second largest Jumbotron in all of CFB. The thing is blanking huge. Awesome and friendly SEC tailgating, including Junction Johns, flush toilet trailers; the live pre-game radio show; dawgbone cookies from the State Fountain; and pictures with Bully in his Dawghouse!
La Monroe – Somewhat Romney-esque, at least in size, but with no charm and no scenery. Nice fans, though. Close parking. lawns for tosses.
La Tech – If they ever get a big donation, it has potential to be a very nice mid-major venue with trees around. Lots of aluminum to make noise with. Hotter than flip the day we were spanked there.
LSU – Great game day experience, wonderful seats under the overhang. Good showing by the Aggies.
Nebraska – The biggest loss I have ever seen the Aggies take in person. Did someone in another thread mention troughs?
USU – The backdrop is awesome, the memories overflowing.
Idaho State – Only there and in Romney have I played on the field. I would take Romney for a game of touch again any time. Minidome should be turned into a BMX and MTB-trials paradise.
Lewis Field/pre-Pickens, pre-Gallager-Iba update – Then it was gray steel girders and not much else, unless you count Pat Jones, and Barry, Thurman and QB Gundy. Boy, was I lucky.  (insert waving wheat emoticon here) .
Washburn @ Topeka. Just a nice way to spend a fall day in a town without too much else to do outside. And a good to very good D-2 home team most years, too.

Go Big Blue!

WillRogersAggie

Post by WillRogersAggie » May 14th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Blue Away wrote:No real order here:

Army – add this to your football bucket list, too.
The Vet in Philly – Army lost to Navy a long time ago.
BC – never a rainier game have I been to. Felt bad for my dad and his ineffective rain suit.
Michigan State, pre-2008ish renovation – So many traditions and such a great campus. Besides, where else should you be if you hate Michigan. The student bus and motor pool service used to be under the east stands!
Mississippi State – the new heated concourse on the east upper deck added much value to our $25.00 seats on a cold November day. and the second largest Jumbotron in all of CFB. The thing is blanking huge. Awesome and friendly SEC tailgating, including Junction Johns, flush toilet trailers; the live pre-game radio show; dawgbone cookies from the State Fountain; and pictures with Bully in his Dawghouse!
La Monroe – Somewhat Romney-esque, at least in size, but with no charm and no scenery. Nice fans, though. Close parking. lawns for tosses.
La Tech – If they ever get a big donation, it has potential to be a very nice mid-major venue with trees around. Lots of aluminum to make noise with. Hotter than flip the day we were spanked there.
LSU – Great game day experience, wonderful seats under the overhang. Good showing by the Aggies.
Nebraska – The biggest loss I have ever seen the Aggies take in person. Did someone in another thread mention troughs?
USU – The backdrop is awesome, the memories overflowing.
Idaho State – Only there and in Romney have I played on the field. I would take Romney for a game of touch again any time. Minidome should be turned into a BMX and MTB-trials paradise.
Lewis Field/pre-Pickens, pre-Gallager-Iba update – Then it was gray steel girders and not much else, unless you count Pat Jones, and Barry, Thurman and QB Gundy. Boy, was I lucky.  (insert waving wheat emoticon here) .
Washburn @ Topeka. Just a nice way to spend a fall day in a town without too much else to do outside. And a good to very good D-2 home team most years, too.

Go Big Blue!
I lived in stillwater most those years...ernest anderson, dexter, terry miller... great times

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

foreveranaggie

Post by foreveranaggie » May 14th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Here is my list:
1. Romney--The seats are close to the field, not overly cramped for space, beautiful setting and it doesn't take forever to leave after a game.
2. Bryant-Denny Stadium (Alabama)--May be the loudest stadium I have been in and that was even for a USU v Alabama game.
3. The Big House (Michigan)--Would be #1 on my list, but you are packed in there so tight that you hardly dare move. Just pray that you don't have a fat person sitting next to you or a tall person behind you (my poor wife was miserable). As stated above, it is not as loud as you think it would be with that many people. Always been a Michigan fan, so this may be higher than it really deserves. Go Blue!
4. Jordan-Hare (Auburn)--Fun atmosphere, nice people, almost amazing game.
5. Kyle Field (Texas A&M)--Could be a lot higher, but not a fan of the seating. The visiting fan section seems to be on the side of the field looking behind the endzone. Also, seats start too low and so everyone in the lower sections has to stand the entire game because the people in the front few rows have to stand to be able to see anything. Best traditions and probably the funnest environment I've ever seen at a game.
6. Rice Eccles--This place would be higher on my list, but it seems to take hours to get out of town after the games.
7. Lavell Edwards Stadium (BYU)--Really not too bad of a place to watch a football game other than it is in Provo and I hate the fans.
8. Sam Boyd Stadium (UNLV)--Not too bad, but nothing really special about it. Much rather watch a bball game in the Thomas & Mack (that place is nice)
9. Qualcomm (SDSU)--Been to a Chargers game there. As previously stated, too far away from the field and seats also start too close to the field here as well. Dumpiest NFL Stadium I've been to.
10. Bronco Stadium (BSU)--I agree with all that has been said about this place. That nasty turf makes games hard to watch there as well.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 14th, 2012, 9:45 pm

foreveranaggie wrote: 3. The Big House (Michigan)--Would be #1 on my list, but you are packed in there so tight that you hardly dare move. Just pray that you don't have a fat person sitting next to you or a tall person behind you (my poor wife was miserable). As stated above, it is not as loud as you think it would be with that many people. Always been a Michigan fan, so this may be higher than it really deserves. Go Blue!
Freakboy once told us that he thinks they count attendance at Michigan by counting how many people are standing in the aisles.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » May 14th, 2012, 10:51 pm

My rankings:

1- Autzen Stadium
2- The Rose Bowl
3- Reser Stadium (Oregon St.)
4- Romney Stadium
5- Franklin Field (Penn)
6- Rice-Eccles Stadium
7- Sam Boyd Stadium
8- Qualcomm Stadium
9- Fitton Football Field (College of the Holy Cross)
10- Bronco Stadium
11- Stewart Stadium
12- Holt Arena
13- Lavell Edwards Stadium

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

IrishAggie

Post by IrishAggie » June 11th, 2012, 4:25 pm

1- Notre Dame Stadium (I'm still waiting for something to top the complete experience here)
2- Camp Randall (haven't actually been yet, but I'll put it here as a placeholder until September)
3- The Big House (the second rudest fans (after BYU) I've ever had to deal with)
4- Lavell Edwards (if only for the backdrop)
5- Rice-Eccles
6- Romney Stadium (this really pains me, but I haven't been to a game there in 6 years so maybe now I would put it higher)

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » June 11th, 2012, 8:31 pm

WSU is never given much credit for doing anything by Husky fans, I'm rather amazed that one has given the cow college in Pullman credit for thawarting the University of Washington from robbing the state treasury. WSU is redoing its stadium by donations and never asked the state for assistance.

redburnday

Post by redburnday » June 11th, 2012, 9:01 pm

1) Notre Dame Stadium, beautiful on campus facility with lots of tradition.
2) Romney Stadium, there is nothing better than night games in Logan on a warm autumn night in September.
3) Holt Arena (The Mini Dome), this venue can get loud when the Bengals are good. I remember watching a couple of games when Jared Allen was there and you could barely hear yourself think.
4) The Big House, I'm pretty sure I parked on a golf course when I was there. The town kind of reminds me of Logan.
5) Bryant-Denny Stadium, Roll damn tide!
6) Washington Grizzly Stadium, one of the best game day experiences in the northwest.
7) Bronco Stadium, fans are pretty cool and the tailgating is unique. I love the passion of their fans and all the crazy paint schemes on the RVs, cars, and trucks.
8) Sun Devil Stadium, best co-eds around!
9) The Yale Bowl
10) Stewart Stadium, it's like mini Romney with a fancy pressbox. Not bad for a stadium named after a chick.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 11th, 2012, 9:13 pm

redburnday wrote:1) Notre Dame Stadium, beautiful on campus facility with lots of tradition.
2) Romney Stadium, there is nothing better than night games in Logan on a warm autumn night in September.
3) Holt Arena (The Mini Dome), this venue can get loud when the Bengals are good. I remember watching a couple of games when Jared Allen was there and you could barely hear yourself think.
4) The Big House, I'm pretty sure I parked on a golf course when I was there. The town kind of reminds me of Logan.
6) Washington Grizzly Stadium, one of the best game day experiences in the northwest.
7) Bronco Stadium, fans are pretty cool and the tailgating is unique. I love the passion of their fans and all the crazy paint schemes on the RVs, cars, and trucks.
9) The Yale Bowl
10) Stewart Stadium, it's like mini Romney with a fancy pressbox. Not bad for a stadium named after a chick.

So you're saying the atmosphere for Idaho State is better than Alabama? Gonna have to call B.S. on that one.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » June 11th, 2012, 9:46 pm

1- Beaver Stadium, State College, PA - there is just something special about 107,000 fans packing the house on 22 Sept 2001 - the first day of competition after 9/11.

2- Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE - vs. USU 2003, until you have seen the Heisman Trophy's, you haven't experienced college football. The hospitality was second to none - their band played our fight song, 81k fans and some awesome pregame festivities

3- Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK - vs. USU 2007 and 2010 - great homey feeling, and 82k fans. Thought for sure we were walking out victorious in '10... so close.

4- Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA - vs. USU 2002, also been there for FIU, Ohio St 2x, Penn St, and one other which fails me. 70k fans, not quite rabid, but it is a fun crowd.

5- Trice Stadium, Ames, IA - vs aTm 3x, T Tech, K State, Texas, and OK St. 55k fans, dedicated to a team which barely averages 6 wins per year. I think games I've attended have averaged 53k.

6- Romney Stadium, Logan, UT - The view of the mountains is second to none.

7- Bronco Stadium, Boise, ID - not really impressive when I was there (1985 for my older brother's game against Meridian High) the turf was smurf blue astro-concrete) and stands must have expanded a lot since then, I don't recall it being very big, maybe 25k???

8- UNI Dome, Cedar Falls, IA - UNI Panther games at least 15 times over the years. Seats 16k and it's almost always sold out. I've seen some great FCS games both playoffs (Mont St, New Hampshire, Delaware, and others) and winner-takes-conference-title games (Southern Ill, Ill State, Youngstown St) and it's downright DGSSpectrum like.

9- Mini Dome, Pocatello, ID - mostly for HS games, I think once for an actual Bengals game, and a couple times for Ricks College Jr College bowl games. It's just small.

I'll add Lavell Edwards, provo, UT - just because I have been there four times only once when USU wasn't playing there, and that was before my Aggie conversion. I just hate that place - hospitality is better than no where - the view is okay, but Mt Timpanogas (sp?) doesn't really do much for me. The nail in the coffin for thinking it was a dumb place to be was when their band was playing a primary song about springtime in a football game in Oct, and people were singing along, and being applauded for randomly jumping up like and wiggling like a sperm.

I anticipate adding Camp Randall, Madison, WI this fall - probably in the top 5 - I've been to it, not inside or near gameday.

blonddad
Pick'em Champ - '13 Kickoff

Post by blonddad » June 11th, 2012, 10:43 pm

DKR Memorial.jpg
Went to DKR Memorial Stadium two years ago and witnessed some incredible athletes- not on the field but in the stands. It takes amazing strength and endurance to make it to the top where we sat. All in all, the sherpas were very pleasant and the complimentary oxygen was a nice touch

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.- John Heisman

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » June 12th, 2012, 11:45 am

BobWilson wrote:WSU is never given much credit for doing anything by Husky fans, I'm rather amazed that one has given the cow college in Pullman credit for thawarting the University of Washington from robbing the state treasury. WSU is redoing its stadium by donations and never asked the state for assistance.
I think I read it on ESPN; I'd have to go check the Seattle Times for the whole story. Wazzoo needs to get its crap together, beat the Huskies a few times, and get cocky about it. Right now, it's much easier to hate Oregon.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 12th, 2012, 3:13 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
BobWilson wrote:WSU is never given much credit for doing anything by Husky fans, I'm rather amazed that one has given the cow college in Pullman credit for thawarting the University of Washington from robbing the state treasury. WSU is redoing its stadium by donations and never asked the state for assistance.
I think I read it on ESPN; I'd have to go check the Seattle Times for the whole story. Wazzoo needs to get its crap together, beat the Huskies a few times, and get cocky about it. Right now, it's much easier to hate Oregon.

you seem to have jealousy and hate confused, my friend.

redburnday

Post by redburnday » June 12th, 2012, 6:34 pm

2004AG wrote:
redburnday wrote:1) Notre Dame Stadium, beautiful on campus facility with lots of tradition.
9) The Yale Bowl

So you're saying the atmosphere for Idaho State is better than Alabama? Gonna have to call B.S. on that one.
To each, their own. In November I would rather watch a game indoors than with 100,000+ drunk stank (I can't express myself without swearing) southerners. Yes, I had alcohol spilled on me when I was there. I also enjoy watching Big Sky football because it's more about the game than the money.

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » June 12th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Few thoughts in no ranking order.

* War memorial at Wyoming is a dump. Even the surrounding trees look dead and their video board is from the 80s. War memorial looks like a charred Marlboro on some old timers lips about to take a shot of whiskey.
* Romney has great seating, sight lines and view... Nothing to brag about, wish I could pee there.
* Rice Eccles is sweet and new.
* LES, meh. Reminds me of a temple... Big and plain
* Bronco stadium is a dump. I don't care about the press box... that place is uglier than a hooker on nickel night
* Folsom is fun and has tradition... But nothing special... Especially that attached field house.
* falcon stadium is top notch besides the dirt parking lots
* reiser.... I went there years ago when the old rice stadium put it to shame
* hughes... Great if it were on campus and didn't have a pile of dirt to park in

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 12th, 2012, 9:57 pm

redburnday wrote: Yes, I had alcohol spilled on me when I was there.
I had that happen to me at a 2002 Olympic hockey game between Czech and Canada.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » June 13th, 2012, 11:31 am

The only college football stadiums I've been to are Romney and Bobby Dodd (Georgia Tech). Bobby Dodd Stadium is better than a lot of people give it credit for--always a great atmosphere on the Thursday night games--but I prefer the view of the mountains at Romney.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » June 13th, 2012, 12:48 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
redburnday wrote: Yes, I had alcohol spilled on me when I was there.
I had that happen to me at a 2002 Olympic hockey game between Czech and Canada.
You both have something to share with Max Hall's mom.

aggiejump

Post by aggiejump » June 13th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Stadiums I have attended games in

Tiger Stadium LSU
Romney Stadium
WAZZU
Hughes CSU
Fresno State
USL Ragin Cajans
La Tech
Univ of Ohio
Nevada
Boise State
Weber State Stewart Stadium
Utah (before remodel, haven't been to a football game since)
Univ of Pacific (Amos Stag Stadium??)
Hansen Stadium (Dixie)
Titan Field Cal State Fullerton
UNLV Sam Boyd (hole)
Long Beach State (Not even their own stadium Veterans Memorial Stadium)
BYU (But hole, hit by a soda out of the stands, worst stadium experience I ever dealt with)

Stadiums Visited (Not for a game)
Huskie Stadium UW
Ohio State Horseshoe
Rose Bowl
University of Montana
San Jose State
Kibbie Dome
Holt Arena (Mini Dome)

Stadiums that host NFL and College events I have attended Pro games
Mile High
The Colosseum
Qual-Com (Padres Game)
Arrowhead (Visited attending a Royal game next door)

Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21
...And Saint Attila raised the holy hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin...

Locked Previous topicNext topic